Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl kettle waste

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't see what you are angry at? The variable thermostat means that if you don't need 100 deg water you don't have to have it.
    I don't see it as a bad thing.
    The keep warm function might just mean that the kettle never drops below 20 deg or so?
    If you set the kettle to keep water at 100 deg you will have a pretty hefty power bill given that it is the same Kw as my immersion element.
    I don't think that is the intended usage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think it stinks.
    If they want a 'keep-warm' option, they should have at least insulated the body & spout of the kettle to reduce losses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

Is it cheaper to boil a cup of water in a microwave or a kettle? During the day I make about 207 cups of tea and each time I boil the kettle with the bare minimum but that seems to be about two cupfuls.
    Can anyone with one of those gadgets for measuring consumption check for me?
    Much obliged.
    PS Mukki, the footpaths in Vale in the US have oil-fired heating under them to keep the snow from sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It is way way better to hear water in a kettle. All - 100% of the energy used in boiling a kettle heats the water.
    A microwave uses energy in a magnetron to generate microwaves, this is way less efficient, and the magnetron is cooled with the heat escaping the back of the microwave which doesn't heat the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

Thanks Carawaystick but is the amount of electricity used more or less in the microwave? I don't suppose you know by what factor? You know, like, twice the amount or whatever.
    The problem is that to boil a cup of water in a kettle requires boiling at least twice that amount, so if the microwave uses twice as much electricity to perform the same task, they are equal.
    As you can see, I am no scientist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement