Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling charges

Options
  • 01-03-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭

I see that Cork County Council has introduced a €3.00 euro levy to use the recycling centre now.
    I can only think that this is counterproductive, the aim of recycling is to get people to dispose of waste in a semi-sustainable way.
    This will only encourage flytipping and backyard burning and more use of the landfill.
    The minimum charge for a car at the landfill now is €18 so 6 recycling trips now = one quick load to the dump.
    I know that the solution is to reduce the amount of waste produced but the REPAK cartel has made it possible for the big shops to stop accepting waste from the consumer.
    What is the solution here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

It had to be done, unfortunately. The global market for recycled materials has all but collapsed and some companies/authorities are actually warehousing the stuff in the hope of an eventual recovery.
    My local waste manangement company who operates a "Civic amenity centre" in town, have put in a €2 minimum including recycling. It had always been pay by weight there (weighed on the way in, again on the way out, pay for the difference).

It doesn't bother me, I can still take a carload of recycling plus a few bags of trash to the facility for well under a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

We're having to pay €3 to use the recycling facility here since the beginning of Feb. I only go there once every two months - with things that they don't take in the purple wheelie bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

So does that mean we have to pay €3 at the gate for disposing of electrical goods on top of the levi imposed for the "Product Recycling Fund" on electrical goods?

Scratch that. They don't charge for recycling electrical goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

as far as i know it's written into the WEEE directive that the public can deposit WEEE free of charge. plus charging at the gates for WEEE would be paying double - the whole theory is new for old, paying the environmental charge when you purchase the replacement EEE item...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

SeanW wrote: »
    It had to be done, unfortunately. The global market for recycled materials has all but collapsed and some companies/authorities are actually warehousing the stuff in the hope of an eventual recovery.
    My local waste manangement company who operates a "Civic amenity centre" in town, have put in a €2 minimum including recycling. It had always been pay by weight there (weighed on the way in, again on the way out, pay for the difference).

It doesn't bother me, I can still take a carload of recycling plus a few bags of trash to the facility for well under a tenner.

Hmm...I read something the other day about not one single recycling company applying for a permit to store extra waste recycling materials since January, suggesting that they aren't having the huge problems of getting rid of their stuff as they like to suggest..

TBH, I can't even remember where I saw the article..I'll have to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,920 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

taconnol wrote: »
    Hmm...I read something the other day about not one single recycling company applying for a permit to store extra waste recycling materials since January, suggesting that they aren't having the huge problems of getting rid of their stuff as they like to suggest..

TBH, I can't even remember where I saw the article..I'll have to find it.

Maybe because it's cheaper to landfill it then store huge amounts material for an unknown time scale. If every other country is storing it then when the down turn ends there will be a glut of material and the price will go lower still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Del2005 wrote: »
    Maybe because it's cheaper to landfill it then store huge amounts material for an unknown time scale. If every other country is storing it then when the down turn ends there will be a glut of material and the price will go lower still.
    My mate was very conscientious about recycling and would give out to me for not separating my garbage properly. He had a very neet system of separating stuff into three bins including bottles, cardboard and plastic. He would take it to the recycle ctr once a fortnight now he dosn't give a sh*t about it anymore and I think most of it ends up in either the black bin or the back boiler.

I mentioned already that gatemen at these centers have noticed a 75% drop in traffic since they introduced these charges. You can also blame the recently installed CCTV. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You can also blame the recently installed CCTV. :p
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

was shocked with the prices per delivery in the ringsend recycling centre earlier tbh. went down with an old flat pack desk ready for recycling, there must have been about 10 pieces of wood in total. not more than 10kg. anyway guy down there tried to charge me €50 because i arrived in a van. **** that, its going to landfill now. Is there a website that details the charges imposed by each of the recycling centres? id be interested to find out what the rest of the places are charging!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have to dump every couple of months anyway, so taking the trailer over and binning the lot is no great hardship €18 for a vanload vs €3 for a little bit of cardboard and glass:rolleyes:
    I used to recycle but seeing as the cost is too great, it's going to landfill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I saw a box of about 2 dozen bottles dumped in a laneway in South Co Dublin within walking distance from the recycle CTR. This is just the start of it, next we will see CCTV installed in laneways, public parks and other places to try and catch these culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I needed to get rid of some stuff at the weekend so I loaded the trailer and asked a friend of he had any rubbish, 320kgs were dumped for the grand total of 51 euro.
    Thats including the 3 euro levy to enter the place.
    It doesn't pay to recycle anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I bring the recycling to the Ennis recycling centre about once a month and its usually packed (I go on saturday) but today only 2 other people there. When I got out one of the men working there walked up to me and asked what I had, I told him glass, that will be 4 euro so he says. Well I brought the lot to a bottle bank instead thats free as all recycling should be. It was always free before the greens got power! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I need to get rid of a TV. I noticed that they accept these free at for example the Ringsend recycling centre, but then there is a 15€ fee for a car. Does this mean that I will have to pay 15€ to get rid of the telly even if that's the only thing I'm bringing? Because that's not going to happen. Any way of getting rid of this TV for cheaper, max 5€?

The shop you bought from has to take it back for free. AFAIK it's free in civic recycling centres. Just call ahead to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Del2005 wrote: »
    The shop you bought from has to take it back for free. AFAIK it's free in civic recycling centres. Just call ahead to be safe.
    The TV is an old one I got free from someone who got it from someone etc
    And yeah it is free to bring it, but there is a charge per car too, or something

snowblind wrote: »
    And yeah it is free to bring it, but there is a charge per car too, or something

All the centres have different rules, but you shouldn't be charged for disposing of a TV. They ask what your dumping and charge accordingly, just don't try and sneak rubbish in with the TV. Call your local centre and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

snowblind wrote: »
    My understanding is that you are charged per car-"load", but if you're just getting rid of a single TV, then you shouldn't be charged. As Del2005 says, give them a ring to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Sad to see Minister Alan Kelly bringing in charges on domestic recycling! lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

[MOD] Please don't dig up such old threads - there's rarely a good reason to. [/MOD]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement