Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So...

• 01-03-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

...does anyone here have interests in DC beyond looking for ET or trying to cure cancer? Not that these are unimportant, but there's got to be more than a few other applications out there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Maybe that came off a little ruder than intended.

Out of the 83 people who have visited, is there anyone interested in technologies like EC2, App Engine or, god forbid, Azure? Or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I used to be very interested in the whole DC malarky, but in recent years i just don't have the time to keep up with new apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

The ET thing in my eyes is a complete waste of time and resources. That could be used for cancer research ect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

BadCharlie wrote: »
    The ET thing in my eyes is a complete waste of time and resources. That could be used for cancer research ect...

That's hogwash. People choose the kind of research they want to volunteer their CPU cycles for, and if they want to try and find signals in the stars, let them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Donny5 wrote: »
    That's hogwash. People choose the kind of research they want to volunteer their CPU cycles for, and if they want to try and find signals in the stars, let them at it.

I did say in my post "in my eyes", ie my opinion.

Time and cycles could be better spent on something else. I my self used to crunch for ET! until I felt what a waste of time and resources & have since changed who I crunch for.

• Advertisement

I have to admit, I used to run SETI until I figured it would be more practical and environmentally friendly to just turn the PC off when I'm not using it! In absolute terms, the chances of finding extraterrestrial life are about the same whether your PC is on or off.

One of the things I would like to see is a sort of iTunes-like app store frontend where you can pick and choose the applications you want to run from within the client. You could pick one or more and decide how to divvy up the spare cycles, for example 50% on Folding, 40% on electricsheep and 10% on SETI. Does anyone think this might be an interesting idea?

Onikage wrote: »
    I have to admit, I used to run SETI until I figured it would be more practical and environmentally friendly to just turn the PC off when I'm not using it! In absolute terms, the chances of finding extraterrestrial life are about the same whether your PC is on or off.

One of the things I would like to see is a sort of iTunes-like app store frontend where you can pick and choose the applications you want to run from within the client. You could pick one or more and decide how to divvy up the spare cycles, for example 50% on Folding, 40% on electricsheep and 10% on SETI. Does anyone think this might be an interesting idea?

It's not exactly what you want, but look at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/.

Donny5 wrote: »
    It's not exactly what you want, but look at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/.

It's pretty close, thanks! There's definitely more room to make it user friendly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I believe this is what you are looking for?

RangeR wrote: »
    I believe this is what you are looking for?

Not quite, although it could prove a decent starting point.

• Advertisement

It's pretty close, thanks! There's definitely more room to make it user friendly though.

Aye, they'd do well to spend some time on the UI. It's a good idea, though.

Advertisement