Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluing query

Options
  • 28-02-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just want to check something out first with the experts before I go ahead.

I have 7ft length of 2"x4" and I need a 3ft length of 4"x4". So my plan is to cut the 7ft piece in two (two pieces of 3ft) and glue them together.

My question is which way should I glue them, which side to which side?

Regards,

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

what dimensions do you want the timber to finish? You can put glue in between the two pieces of timber rub one piece of timber agaist the other to make sure you have good contact of glue on both pieces of timber and then clamp it up untill the glue has set..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

Also shouldn't you glue both pieces and clamp them so the heart faces outwards, to counteract cupping?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bjroche

Hi Jack,

That is what I am trying to figure out. Should the rest onto of each other i.e. all rings is parallel or should they make a circular shape?

Regards,

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

bjroche wrote: »
    Hi Jack,

That is what I am trying to figure out. Should the rest onto of each other i.e. all rings is parallel or should they make a circular shape?

Regards,

B.

Ans they should not be in a circular shape they should look like the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

Indeed, each board will oppose movement of the other, giving you a more stable piece of wood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement