Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist Society in UCC

Options
  • 28-02-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

There's an Atheist Society being formed in UCC. Really glad anyway, I think its the first one in Ireland for universities :D

Any thoughts? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Corrupt 'em when they're young, that's the ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'd join an atheist society at ucd in a heartbeat.

Hope it sets a standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Should probably go with a different title. At least let Agnostics in :/ Sceptics Society, Rational Thinkers, Freethinkers, Secular Society, Humanist Society etc. Atheists Society seems a little to specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

"We don't buy your BS society"?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hmmm,I wonder how such a society would go down in my college. We still have an oratory in the college and a priest working in the college. When all the first years were being inducted they had to stand for a prayer and everything! This is really odd for a third level institute right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hmmm,I wonder how such a society would go down in my college. We still have an oratory in the college and a priest working in the college. When all the first years were being inducted they had to stand for a prayer and everything! This is really odd for a third level institute right?
    There's a seminary in our college. So we probably have it worse.

Have been thinking of starting a Skeptic/Atheist/Rationalist(but not humanists) Society here in Maynooth.

How do you think it'll go over?
    Any ideas for talks and the like?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

King Mob wrote: »

Have been thinking of starting a Skeptic/Atheist/Rationalist(but not humanists) Society here in Maynooth.

Yikes, I can't imagine that will go down well in Maynooth of all places.

You might be surprised though,maybe they'll acknowledge that not everybody in the college is catholic,that could be wishful thinking though.

Would the seminary have much authority over what goes on in the college outside of the religious aspects?

Yikes, I can't imagine that will go down well in Maynooth of all places.

You might be surprised though,maybe they'll acknowledge that not everybody in the college is catholic,that could be wishful thinking though.

Would the seminary have much authority over what goes on in the college outside of the religious aspects?

Not too sure about the politics to be honest. But we do have a GLBT so it wouldn't be impossible.

Also I was thinking of calling the skeptic soc rather than the atheist soc.

Not too sure about the politics to be honest. But we do have a GLBT so it wouldn't be impossible.

Also I was thinking of calling the skeptic soc rather than the atheist soc.

If you have a GLBT then you shouldn't have a problem i would imagine. Yea going the skeptic route is good,being a flat out atheist groupt would be maybe too specific as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Zillah wrote: »
    Should probably go with a different title. At least let Agnostics in :/ Sceptics Society, Rational Thinkers, Freethinkers, Secular Society, Humanist Society etc. Atheists Society seems a little to specific.

Apologies, the actual title is

'UCC Secularists, Atheists, and Sceptics Society'

*slaps face* :)

http://www.ucc-sass.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd join an atheist society at ucd in a heartbeat.

Hope it sets a standard.

If I wasn't finishing up in UCD in a couple of months I'd be tempted to help set one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I'm in NUIM and would join that society in a heartbeat. It's something I've always thought Maynooth needed and I'm sure it would go down well... with people on the North Campus anyway!:D

Aldebaran wrote: »
    I'm in NUIM and would join that society in a heartbeat. It's something I've always thought Maynooth needed and I'm sure it would go down well... with people on the North Campus anyway!:D

Excellent! Spread the word!

What would you like to see a society like this do? Talks? Debates? Ritual sacrifice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Yeah, I signed up for this...I was thinking of doing one myself, but I was beaten to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Apologies, the actual title is

'UCC Secularists, Atheists, and Sceptics Society'

*slaps face* :)

http://www.ucc-sass.com/

Well that's vastly superior :D

Yes, that's extremely bloody bizarre. Was this in Mayo?

Zillah wrote: »

Yes, that's extremely bloody bizarre. Was this in Mayo?

Yup. GMIT in Castlebar to be precise. I'm going there as a mature student now and it's still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mr. Mercurial

We tried to get set up as the Secularists, Atheists and Sceptics Society but were told that the name was a bit too broad, so now we’re back to UCC Atheists, which was our original preference for a name anyhow. The AGM is on Wednesday for anyone who’s interested: www.uccatheists.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Awww liked the name SASS, but will still come along on Wed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I would steer clear of casually naming a society using the word "rational", "reason", etc without reasearching the actual meaning of the term. It doesn't have particularly atheist connotations. Many atheists also seem to much prefer empirical thought to rational thought.

bah, the ugly side of Maynooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Excellent! Spread the word!

What would you like to see a society like this do? Talks? Debates? Ritual sacrifice?

Debates are a must, I think. And obviously the whole ritual sacrifice thing goes without saying! Let me know how you get on with this and if theres anything I can do to help then send a PM my way.
    Húrin wrote: »
    bah, the ugly side of Maynooth!

Yes but we do have indoor plumbing on this side :D

• Advertisement

Debates are a must, I think. And obviously the whole ritual sacrifice thing goes without saying! Let me know how you get on with this and if theres anything I can do to help then send a PM my way.
    Well I'm giving a informal talk like thing about skepticism and the supernatural for Astro 2 in April. I'll be looking to see what kind of interest there is at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well, I liked the other name better, and nice to see that it's getting off to a good religion-bashing start by showing Religulous after the first meeting but feckit I'll probably still go along. In fairness, the Chaplaincy has a huge presence on campus, it's only right to allow us heathens to have our fun :P

Edit:I used rolleyes. I hate when people use rolleyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

it's getting off to a good religion-bashing start by showing Religulous after the first meeting

It's just some light fun. Coulda shown The Root Of All Evil or something but just felt that was a bit heavy for a first meeting where a lot of the people coming along won't know others there, etc. These things are usually easier if people can have a bit of a laugh in my experience. And anyway, I'd like to think there's a serious undertone to Religulous beneath that comedic exterior.:)

Just had an idea.

All the college atheist societies name them selves either the United Atheist Alliance, Unified Atheist League or Allied Atheist Allegiance. Then have wars to solve the ultimate question.

The Unified Atheist League?! Splitters! :P

Haha, on a more serious note, we have joined the Secular Student Alliance (http://www.secularstudents.org) and I recommend others consider doing likewise if they're trying to set societies up. They'll send you over promotional stuff with your group's name on it free of charge (fliers, posters, stickers) and give you a web address if you want it. Really helpful bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

adamd164 wrote: »
    It's just some light fun. Coulda shown The Root Of All Evil or something but just felt that was a bit heavy for a first meeting where a lot of the people coming along won't know others there, etc. These things are usually easier if people can have a bit of a laugh in my experience. And anyway, I'd like to think there's a serious undertone to Religulous beneath that comedic exterior.:)

Arra I know, I'm just being a bit of a grumpy pants ;) I just hope the general level of debate within the society as it grows and flourishes (touch wood, I mean, please god, I mean...hopefully :D) will rise above simply taking the piss out of organised relgion-i.e shooting fish in a barrel :)

Absolutely it will. We've already a few things in the pipeline for the rest of college term, watch this space. We just need to empty out the bullets on Wednesday. :D

So starting to get the ball rolling on things here in Maynooth.

How is it going in UCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There's an Atheist Society being formed in UCC. Really glad anyway, I think its the first one in Ireland for universities :D

Any thoughts? :)

'Corkonians renounce God until more representative selection committee appointed'?

• Advertisement
Advertisement