Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

These pills better work.

Options
  • 28-02-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Second day on Champix.

I'm getting a bit shaky, but that may be down to the excessive amount of alcohol I drank last night.
    I'm not feeling any other noticable effects from them, but it is only day 2.

My GP was a bit wary about prescribing them because I have a history of depression, but I'm taking the chance. My breathing is ****ed from smoking 40 or 50 a day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Day 4. Just took the first of two pills.
    Still no noticable difference and no major effect on my mental health either.
    Meh. Still early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Best of luck to you! My husband started taking them at the same time as me, and is doing just great! Just keep on top of any side effects. ;)

Side effects?
    Like the voices in my head?
    Yeah, I'm trying to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Terry wrote: »
    Side effects?
    Like the voices in my head?
    Yeah, I'm trying to ignore them.

:D:D:D You'll get there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Will be starting these soon, have the prescription so just need to get them now. Can you keep us updated on how you're getting on?

Also, how much are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Number one

Keep it up, did you try read the allen carr book? Its very good for preparing yourself mentally and making you believe your a non smoker.

I was gona opt for the hypnosis if that didn't work. a mate of mine did it for 200 bills and swears by it. said he felt like he never smoked in his life after.

No idea how much they cost. I've got a golden ticket (medical card).

The side effects don't seem too bad today. I'm hoping they have worn off. Because I suffer from depression, my GP was a bit reluctant to prescribe them as they are known to cause depression. I think he said something about some people committing suicide.
    I was willing to take the risk because my depression is now manageable and I'm going to get rid of the pills at the first sign of depression, because I'm not going to willingly put myself through that crap again.

I am forgetting about cigarettes in some ways. The cravings are not as frequent, but I'll just light up because they are right in front of me on my desk.
    I keep buying them out of habit too.

Hypnosis worked for a guy I know. He's been off them for years.
    I don't want to go down that road personally, but different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Terry wrote: »
    Second day on Champix.

I'm getting a bit shaky, but that may be down to the excessive amount of alcohol I drank last night.
    I'm not feeling any other noticable effects from them, but it is only day 2.

My GP was a bit wary about prescribing them because I have a history of depression, but I'm taking the chance. My breathing is ****ed from smoking 40 or 50 a day.

Good Luck with it Terry. I was on them last year, and same as yourself, my doctor was a bit reluctant to put me on them due to Depression, but i stuck it out (had some scary violent dreams though!). I quit on day 8 i think and didnt think of a cigarette again, no cravings or anything, then after being off them for about 8-9 months i was out with some friends and decided to have a few puffs and that was all it took- am back smoking again now but havent the nerve to go back and seek help from the doctor as i doubt id get another course of them now:(

Stick with it, it will be worth it healthwise and financially. I actually found that my depression lifted a bit when i was near the end of the course- Having more energy helped alot also.

Whatever you do, do not become complacent(like i did) about not smoking- 1 cigarette is all it takes to get your body craving nicotine again.
    Best of Luck

Cheers, chasm. I've a multitude of addictions. Smoking is the one that concers me the most though.
    The depression isn't as bad now. I've moved from the 0.5mg to the 1mg pills.
    This is day 8 and I am beginning to feel less like I want to smoke.
    I had set the date for day 14, but now I feel like putting it back to day 12 or even 10.
    I'm not going to do that though. I want to remain consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Hi Terry best of luck with it. It's amazing how cigarettes start to taste bad & you kind of forget to smoke at times. I smoked mine all up though in the days before quit day, as advised by DFonnieL, he said to smoke while I still could so I did but I did'nt really enjoy any from the 1st pill. Then the night before I quit I ended up chopping up a few that were left in the box. That was almost 7 weeks ago now & I'm doing great, I have had a few slips, {4 pulls of 2 fags to be precise} but both times I was at parties & had people smoking in my face. I'm feeling a lot stronger now about being able to stay off them. Another party will tell I suppose :)

• Advertisement

Day 15.
    I completely forgot yesterday was when I was supposed to stop smoking.
    Meh. I'll try again in a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Any joy, Terry?

Nope. I just put it down to another failed experiment.

I'll try cold turkey again on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Got these today also. Terry apparently it takes much less willpower to quit on Varenicline. I have a similar history/background to you. I'll let you know how it works

Stick with it man.

david wrote: »
    Got these today also. Terry apparently it takes much less willpower to quit on Varenicline. I have a similar history/background to you. I'll let you know how it works

Stick with it man.

Day 18 and I'm 9 days clean :)

Wonderful stuff!

david wrote: »
    Day 18 and I'm 9 days clean :)

Wonderful stuff!
    Another update - I took these pills up until day 20, (lost the rest somewhere) and haven't smoked since. Highly recommended.

Advertisement