Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4th year Japanese

Options
  • 27-02-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey, I'm a student wanting to do Japanese for the Leaving Cert, but they don't teach it in my school so I'm learning it by myself. I just wanna know what everyone else in 4th year has learned so far, and what books you're using, I really need to know if it's do-able or if I'm wasting my time, thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I don't do it but I've heard of free lessons in St. Michaels. I think some people do it on Boards so wait till they post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mefidys

yep well I would go to lessons but I live in Donegal so fat chance really lol

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have a read of the Japanese forum

I did take it for a while but have forgotten most of it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Fringe wrote: »
    I don't do it but I've heard of free lessons in St. Michaels. I think some people do it on Boards so wait till they post.

You know whats terrifying, walking into school on Saturday morning for Irish debating (Pretty terrifying in itself tbh) and seeing all these scene kids running around................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

out of interest, what is the curriculum like for Japanese? Like is it comprehensions, do you read stories for it, do you study poetry etc.

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    out of interest, what is the curriculum like for Japanese? Like is it comprehensions, do you read stories for it, do you study poetry etc.

Look on examinations.ie?

Doubt there's any poetry or stories tbh, you only study it for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Fad wrote: »
    You know whats terrifying, walking into school on Saturday morning for Irish debating (Pretty terrifying in itself tbh) and seeing all these scene kids running around................

I'm guessing/hoping you haven't seen me yet then!

Book - Nihongo Kantan. You can get the two companion books, Hiragana Kantan and Katakana Kantan. 60 euro for all three I think.
    Its grand for self study, you shouldnt have a problem.

The exam is basically like JC level in something like French or German. It has a nice place in the timetable as well, plenty of last minute cramming can be done.
    (I'm hoping)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

By 4th year I presume you mean Transition Year. Normally you don't learn much Japanese in TY, aside from the numbers, some introductory greetings and such.
    But if you want to get a good start at it, start now and learn Hiragana.

Since you're only given two years to study it (if you study it in school, that is) the LC exam is pretty similar to a French or German Junior Cert exam.
    There are no novels or poems you study, most of the Japanese course is based on learning the language, though you do learn a small bit about the culture.
    You also have an Oral and Aural test as well.

Also, my Japanese Oral is on the 19th this month, I'M FECKED. :eek:

Saruwatari wrote: »
    By 4th year I presume you mean Transition Year. Normally you don't learn much Japanese in TY, aside from the numbers, some introductory greetings and such.
    But if you want to get a good start at it, start now and learn Hiragana.

Since you're only given two years to study it (if you study it in school, that is) the LC exam is pretty similar to a French or German Junior Cert exam.
    There are no novels or poems you study, most of the Japanese course is based on learning the language, though you do learn a small bit about the culture.
    You also have an Oral and Aural test as well.

Also, my Japanese Oral is on the 19th this month, I'M FECKED. :eek:

Feeling your pain!!!
    I'm freaking about the section 3, the pictures. Its so hard to prepare. It'd make a lot more sense if we brought a picture in ourselves

• Advertisement

I'm guessing/hoping you haven't seen me yet then!

Book - Nihongo Kantan. You can get the two companion books, Hiragana Kantan and Katakana Kantan. 60 euro for all three I think.
    Its grand for self study, you shouldnt have a problem.

Nah, I was only in once luckily, I try to avoid school at the weekend tbh :p

But needless to say, that one time I was in, the fringe brigade were out en mass.

Fad wrote: »
    Nah, I was only in once luckily, I try to avoid school at the weekend tbh :p

But needless to say, that one time I was in, the fringe brigade were out en mass.

Jeez, they're just trying to make their hair do that flippy thing they do. It makes them look hawt when they wear their sisters jeans. :D
    Ah what the hell.... *does quick google search*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HQIcdGg63I
    This was big back in the day...

Although, I do have a fringe. They're the way forward.

ANYWAY, Japanese is a good subject.

Advertisement