Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i get a iphone ???

Options
  • 27-02-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭

lookin at 3g iphones lately and thinkin of gettin a unlocked one , anyone advice on them ?????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

keysersoze_88 - have a search through this forum and you'll find numerous threads about it. Have a look in the stickys first as a number of frequently asked iPhone questions are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

should i get a iphone ???

No, its not run on open source

I'll let Stephen Fry explain to You what open source is, here

Then You might consider a device with Android

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

It's advertised as a "Linux" phone. Probably just another java phone which happens to run on a linux kernel. It's only linux if i can pull up a terminal and "rm -rf /*"

Also not open enough, want freedom? get the FreeRunner, more open than android will ever be
    - Only joking, it's supposed to be a terrible phone

Smart phones are just more gimmiky $hit I don't need IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

no dont get it. Its pooh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, its not run on open source

I'll let Stephen Fry explain to You what open source is, here

Then You might consider a device with Android

very apt that you link to Fry, he's an avid iphone user, he uses it to twitter his travels.
    Tillotson wrote: »
    It's advertised as a "Linux" phone. Probably just another java phone which happens to run on a linux kernel. It's only linux if i can pull up a terminal and "rm -rf /*"

Also not open enough, want freedom? get the FreeRunner, more open than android will ever be
    - Only joking, it's supposed to be a terrible phone

Smart phones are just more gimmiky $hit I don't need IMO
    what's advertised as a linux phone?

iphone or G1?

iphone has no java on it at all.
    not sure about the G1 as i haven't looked into it as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

The G1, which runs the Android operating system is advertised as a Linux phone

Android apps are written in a java sdk and run "Dalvik" bytecode on google's custom VM

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

To answer the actual question that was asked, as opposed to ideological ranting.

For me the main advantage of the iphone is the internet access and all that comes with that, Irish mobile providers aren't great for their data packages so It'll be a bit costly in that sense.

Also iphones are not easy to text on so if you text alot I would say no.

GPS is cool though and all the games and apps are a plus.

It is probably the best phone on the market despite all the critisism from some camps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

No a touch screen phone is a stupid idea as it lacks feedback to the users touches and your fingers obstruct the screen.

It works for MP3 players and Video players because you rarely need to use it for anything other than selecting a song/playlist and watching a video (ie. you don't press buttons on it while watching the video).

On a phone you text and browse the web. You also dial on it. As the buttons on the screen are divided up so much when doing this, it becomes much more likely you'll make an error when touching when you have no feedback.

Used one once and found it to be very frustrating. I much prefer my simple Sony Ericsson phone as it has Opera mini for page zooming to eliminate the small screen problem and it is a very good MP3 player.

As for video on the go, it is a gimmick and only really useful on a long flight to someone in Ireland as most journeys in the country are quite short. If you do go on such flights, a dedicated video player such as an Archo's player is a good investment as it supports more codecs than Apple products. For the few times you'll use it, it will be worth not having to carry around the extra size of an iPhone for the screen space to make watching videos bearable.

Just my two cents on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

very apt that you link to Fry, he's an avid iphone user, he uses it to twitter his travels.

I thought he slated it at first
    Fry slams the iPhone for only supporting server-side applications, pointing out that closed environments aren't the future for the technology industry.
    How easily freebies can tempt people to change their tune

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup he did slate it at first, then then i watched that stephen fry in the USA series and you see him with one of them in that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement