Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught on Motorway

Options
  • 27-02-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

What are the penalties for being caught on a motorway with just a provisional?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Don't do it, seriously.

Although highly illegal I can imagine if you were just around to the shops the guards wouldn't issue a real fine or whatever and let you off with a strict warning, but the motorway? What you're asking, it's sort of pushing it, you'd get €1000 fine for not having an L Plates and then another €1000 fine for not having someone with a full license for 2 years accompanying you. Someone in my year was fined a while ago for doing this. I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I think it's worse that than. If I am correct you don't have a license at all if you are on a motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Are there any specific penalties for it?

Ive never heard of the particular penalty?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The original fine in law from 1974 is set at "not exceeding £50" - set by the courts. I don't see any change to this since then...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The first motorway laws do date from 1974.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

We prepared well in advance... Local Government (Roads and Motorways) Act, 1974

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I'd imagine that they'd enforce the law on that, alright.

On a slightly separate topic, I think it's kind of odd that learners or the newly licenced don't have to take a class or instruction on the motorway, or be accompanied the first few weeks after they get their licence on the motorway. It's sort of a harrowing ordeal if the traffic is flowing quickly, and quite different from the normal stop start of traffic.

Some sort of preparation for it at least, really.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 emilyj

In theory this should happen, but how far would you have to go for a lesson if you live in West Kerry or Connemara?

are there many crashes on motorways? i honestly don't know. i never have to use them..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

emilyj wrote: »
    In theory this should happen, but how far would you have to go for a lesson if you live in West Kerry or Connemara?

Yeah, that's true. I'm just looking at it from my perspective, where I was qualified to drive but had no experience on the motorway, and had to start driving on it every day as soon as possible. I would have liked to have had a couple of lessons on the motorway, just to get used to it.

It's not actually that bad, driving on the motorway, as you don't need to turn or anything, but changing lanes at high speed needs some thought.

Advertisement