Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com - £5 Offer

Options
  • 27-02-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Play.com are doing an offer on lots of different items for £5 (free delivery) in the following categories: DVDs, CDs, Clothing, Books & Gadgets.

The list of DVDs alone is over 40 pages long, there's bound to be some quality movies in there. Its a pity that there are no Blu-Ray discs included in this offer.

At today's excahnge rate that's around €5.60.

http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Campaign.html?campaign=6614&cid=2411890&campaigntag=Western

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Customers outside the UK have to purchase in euro. According to Play, £5 = €6.49

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

jArgHA wrote: »
    Play.com are doing an offer on lots of different items for £5 (free delivery) in the following categories: DVDs, CDs, Clothing, Books & Gadgets.

The list of DVDs alone is over 40 pages long, there's bound to be some quality movies in there. Its a pity that there are no Blu-Ray discs included in this offer.

At today's excahnge rate that's around €5.60.

http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Campaign.html?campaign=6614&cid=2411890&campaigntag=Western

You need to use the Euro option and it works out to be €6.49 with their crazy exchange rate. You can't ship anything with a £ price outside of the UK :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Gah! The fcekers.

Still though, there is a lot of stuff there for €6.49 so - The Omen Trilogy for that price ain't bad for example :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Customers outside the UK have to purchase in euro. According to Play, £5 = €6.49

Thats ****ty tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Fergster

SWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Even more annoying is that half the stuff (all the gadgets, electronics etc) despite being in the "6.49" sale, can't be shipped outside the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

.....and free delivery only applies to "UK mainland."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Zxc wrote: »

Thats why the exchange rate is higher to cover the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

They don't charge to Ireland regardless though. Not in my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

They don't charge to Ireland regardless though. Not in my experience anyway.

Oh yes they bloody do - they use their sh1tty exchange rate to hide the cost of delivery outside the UK.

If you see a "bargain" on Play.com, check out other websites like the Hut, Sendit, Blahdvd, Asda etc as they are often cheaper and some of them don't charge for delivery either. Even those that do charge for delivery like Blahdvd (usually just a £1) are still cheaper than Play.com and as you can pay in sterling, you get an accurate and up to date exchange rate. I recently bought 4 Blu rays from Blahdvd and even though the price in Sterling was just £3 less than Play.com's sterling prices, when you take Play's euro conversion into account, it worked out that I saved over €15 on the deal by choosing to shop with Blahdvd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I got the kids a couple of dvds - spiderwick chronicles and speedracer - costs about the same as renting one outta xtravision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Theres a couple of good deals in there.

Check www.find-dvd.co.uk for price comparisons.

Their exchange rate has improved from when it was £5 = 7.49 a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Oh yes they bloody do - they use their sh1tty exchange rate to hide the cost of delivery outside the UK.

If you see a "bargain" on Play.com, check out other websites like the Hut, Sendit, Blahdvd, Asda etc as they are often cheaper and some of them don't charge for delivery either.

I realise that and do always shop around. And I use find-dvd.co.uk before making any purchase. Even when items on play.com are on sale you can sometimes find them cheaper elsewhere. However most of the time (say 50%) in my experience play.com have been cheaper and have the best sales, even with the sh*tty exchange rate. I also seem to have the fewest problems with them (although they can be a tad slow) and the one time I didn't get an item from them they shipped another no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I's going to be a pain trying to find any decent music there, if it was organised by genre or something it would be much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

Apologies. Must correct myself.

When writing the above I was mistaking www.play.com for www.7dayshop.com.
    They are also based in the Channel Islands and do charge quite a hefty delivery charge to Ireland.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Well thats the cheapest mankini ive seen going. What a steal at £5!

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/5622627/Borat-Mankini/Product.html

Edit: Why is a mankini categorized as a gadget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Thats why the exchange rate is higher to cover the cost.

No it's not. When we could order in sterling we payed the exact same as people in the UK. They use their own exchange rate because they are greedy ****ers and can get away with it. If postage is not free to Ireland then I would prefer it if they would show how much postage costs before placing your order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thats why I've stopped shopping with them as they are being cute hoors with their "free shipping" but get you with the lousy exchange rate.

There are other sites that even with a delivery charge, are still cheaper than Play. Shop around is the only way to go. The only loyalty you should have is towards whichever retailer is the cheapest at the checkout when all the costs are known. Plays delivery times are slow as well unlike Bladdvd where I ordered 4 Blu Rays on Tuesday and received them on Thursday.

Advertisement