Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lift to Navan Race on Sunday?

Options
  • 27-02-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone going to the Cycleways Cup on Sunday that has room for me and my bike? Thinking I might give it a go, cycling out there might be a bit much though as the race is 120km. I would be in the C/S3 race.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

blorg wrote: »
    Anyone going to the Cycleways Cup on Sunday that has room for me and my bike? Thinking I might give it a go, cycling out there might be a bit much though as the race is 120km. I would be in the C/S3 race.

The S3 race is 80km I think
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/html/site/cyclingireland/story.jsp?id=1174

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cool, 120km was looking a bit intimidating. Still would prefer a lift though :)

Sorted for a lift which means I have to do the thing :) Anyone else from here doing it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

rogerb is doing it I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Anyone else from here doing it?

will be doin it myself, will see you in s3 bunch, only 80km....(120km for A's & B's), am really looking forward to it.

now, just need to sort out a lift.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    rogerb is doing it I believe.

Are you in yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Good luck lads (and lassies). Many many moons ago this was my first road race. Tara is a bit of a drag just try and stay as near the front as possible and watch out for the potholes. Let us know how you get on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Are you in yourself?

Nope. I'm still pretty sore and missing some skin from last weekend. I'll go out on the bike alright, but I'd prefer to let this heal a bit before the next one. I'll probably do the Patrick's Day Race in Batterstown.

Was talking to Roger in the pub after the race last Sunday, he was unsure then. Hope he is there. Make sure to say hello smithslist, I'll have a blue helmet, Orwell jersey and riding a Litespeed.

Make sure to say hello smithslist, I'll have a blue helmet, Orwell jersey and riding a Litespeed.

Will do blorg.

Here is a good review of race:
    http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_3602.shtml

And a good pre-race check:
    http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_987.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

@Blorg Good Luck - knick some butts!!!

knick some butts!!!

just dont kick mine ;) !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

Glad to hear you got yourself sorted out with transport blorg.

Hope to see you and smithslist there.

rogerb wrote: »
    Glad to hear you got yourself sorted out with transport blorg.

Hope to see you and smithslist there.

stil hav transport to sort out, but if i do, see ya there.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

I'm out: sick. :mad: Good luck guys.

rogerb wrote: »
    I'm out: sick. :mad: Good luck guys.

You stole my excuse!:mad:

That was tougher than last Sunday certainly. Met ba at the start and later in the race, he certainly seemed to be riding well. We were in the C race.

I punctured at the 58km mark, 22km to go with all the climbing over. I was in a reasonably good position near the front and feeling OK when it happened :( Front wheel went into a pothole and that was it.

From what I could make out the bunch was holding together reasonably well, there were a few guys off the front I think when I punctured but as far as I could make out they didn't have much of a gap. Anyone know how the C race turned out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hard luck with the puncture and well done for being in the bunch near the end ,no mean feat, the magic sandals might need to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

That was tougher than last Sunday certainly. Met ba at the start and later in the race, he certainly seemed to be riding well. We were in the C race.

I punctured at the 58km mark, 22km to go with all the climbing over. I was in a reasonably good position near the front and feeling OK when it happened :( Front wheel went into a pothole and that was it.

From what I could make out the bunch was holding together reasonably well, there were a few guys off the front I think when I punctured but as far as I could make out they didn't have much of a gap. Anyone know how the C race turned out?

Hard luck . You didn't do these races on the fixie did ya?

Húrin wrote: »
    Hard luck . You didn't do these races on the fixie did ya?
    Christ no, that really wouldn't work, believe me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

yeesh, hard luck blorg. pretty happy with that race, just wanted to ride round myself. the breakaway got a giant lead on us. who was gonna bring it back...? not me! ha, got my mug on irishcycling. centre image, red bike, blue gear, black knee warmers. my mate, also in blue, took the bunch sprint. fair play paul!

ccup09-c10.jpg

Fair play lads. Blorg, I think I spotted you in a couple of the pics here...
    http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_3607.shtml

ba wrote: »
    yeesh, hard luck blorg. pretty happy with that race, just wanted to ride round myself. the breakaway got a giant lead on us. who was gonna bring it back...? not me! ha, got my mug on irishcycling. centre image, red bike, blue gear, black knee warmers. my mate, also in blue, took the bunch sprint. fair play paul!
    Well done on that ba, do you know when the break got away? I may have been wrong in my perception of it, there were a few guys down the road when I punctured but we could see them and I reckoned they would be caught easily enough. Possibly the break actually went earlier though and I was looking at the wrong bunch?

think that break went clear just before the drag on the second lap, just as it started to rain. they had about 50metres on us before the drag... not much at all.

by the bottom of that drag, there was no sign of 'em. they must hav bombed down that descent!

then when i saw a commissaires car move in between the main bunch and the breakaway, i knew their gap had grown, and there were a lot of tired legs after the climb on the second lap so no chasing was happening.

That was tougher than last Sunday certainly

really, i found last Sunday to be tougher than yesterday.
    I punctured at the 58km mark

same here punctured at ~52km mark, thanks again Blorg for helpin me out, much appreciated.

Hope the legs are feeling better today, will you be doin Saturday (Batterstown) and Sunday (Newbridge) this wend?

think that break went clear just before the drag on the second lap, just as it started to rain. they had about 50metres on us before the drag... not much at all.

by the bottom of that drag, there was no sign of 'em. they must hav bombed down that descent!
    That would make a fair bit of sense, they could do that in a small group while I felt we were going down the descents relatively slowly due to the number of people involved.

@smithslist- no problem, thanks to you for helping me with my puncture also! I think I'll bring those Park glueless patches as well as a tube next time, they are tiny, only the size of a stamp.

I guess part of it compared to last Sunday was the increased length, I barely noticed the drag the first time around but my god I noticed it the second. Also I had a bit of an easier first lap with the limit group last Sunday before we were caught and the pace picked up, so I was probably fresher for the second lap of that.

EDIT: I won't be doing any racing this weekend as I'm off to the Sierra Nevada for a cycling holiday- might try the Patrick's Day one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

I barely noticed the drag the first time around but my god I noticed it the second.

i hope I didn't tire you out Saturday -- we could have made Laragh.

hold on, you guys went out cycling on the saturday before a race?? :eek:

We did that the weekend before the DW training race also. 145km. Probably not a great idea!

• Advertisement

Yes I am somewhat conflicted about that one, I would possibly find the race easier if I took the Saturdays off entirely or just had a very short spin. Could be worse, the Cat 1 who gave me a lift reckons actually racing Saturday and Sunday back to back gets you fitter quicker :)

Advertisement