Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports package 20% off - save a tenner

Options
  • 27-02-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just to let you all in on an easy way to save a tenner a month. I rang Sky this morning as I wanted to drop the sports package off my sky channels (only had it for the heineken cup anyway)

The lady was very nice and asked why I wanted to drop it - I explained and she asked if I would change my mind if she gave me 10% off my entire channels package (€56 incl. sports - so a saving of €5.60 a month).

I thanked her and said no so then she asked what about 20% off for the next six months (save €11 a month). Again I declined

Just thought if anyone out there wanted to get at least a tenner off your monthly bill - It would only take about two minutes of a phone call and you will probably save alot more if you have more packages in your sky mix..

Let me know how ye get on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

On a similar note, I rang Sky on Monday to cancel my multiroom.

Got onto an Irish girl (for a change). She asked why I wanted to cancel, and I gave the usual "tightening of belts to to the downturn" spiel. She came back with "well, what if I was to offer you half price on your multiroom for the next 12 months, would that change your mind?".
    It surely did, so that's saving me €7.50 per month for the next 12 months.

Also, I didn't have to start a new 12 month contract with that, so I can still cancel it whenever I want.

Dunno if I'll try the OP's suggestion too. Are they allowed to have more than one discount on your account at a time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

muletide wrote: »
    Hi,

Just to let you all in on an easy way to save a tenner a month. I rang Sky this morning as I wanted to drop the sports package off my sky channels (only had it for the heineken cup anyway)

The lady was very nice and asked why I wanted to drop it - I explained and she asked if I would change my mind if she gave me 10% off my entire channels package (€56 incl. sports - so a saving of €5.60 a month).

I thanked her and said no so then she asked what about 20% off for the next six months (save €11 a month). Again I declined

Just thought if anyone out there wanted to get at least a tenner off your monthly bill - It would only take about two minutes of a phone call and you will probably save alot more if you have more packages in your sky mix..

Let me know how ye get on

Cheers for that, just got off the phone. I have the full SKY World package and just got a 20% reduction for 6 months :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Love to try it but knowing my luck it won't work out for me (like previous try a few months back)

To be honest they should drop the price for everyone, especially for people that have been with them for 10 years like me.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Love to try it but knowing my luck it won't work out for me (like previous try a few months back)

To be honest they should drop the price for everyone, especially for people that have been with them for 10 years like me.

I've been with them for well over 10 years as well. Just ring them up and tell them you want to downgrade your package. Like Muletide said they'll offer you 10% off your monthly subscription first and then 20% if you hesitate a bit.
    Go for it and thanks again for posting this Muletide:)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

I think this definately only works for some people. We had been getting the sky full package (sports + movies), and decided to reduce down to only 2 packages. I never got offered any initative to stay on our package with them, and didn't get asked why I was downgraded. Just got told, fine, will be done for you with effect immediately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

alowe wrote: »
    I think this definately only works for some people. We had been getting the sky full package (sports + movies), and decided to reduce down to only 2 packages. I never got offered any initative to stay on our package with them, and didn't get asked why I was downgraded. Just got told, fine, will be done for you with effect immediately!

Its a gamble you have to take - just hope they dont call your bluff

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dkelly

I just called and got 20% off Sky World Pack for six months I wanted to cancel the movies..... about 2 mins of a call.

When was this?
    AFAIK, they're now encouraged to offer people discounts as opposed to going ahead with cancellations. It's a new policy from Sky.

And as for "cancelling with immediate effect", I don't think they can do that either. They have to wait until your next bill date, or else you're paying for a service that you've not received.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Same here, I tried just before Xmas and got the same reply as yourself, wasn't even asked why I wanted to downgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Got onto an Irish girl (for a change). She asked why I wanted to cancel, and I gave the usual "tightening of belts to to the downturn" spiel. She came back with "well, what if I was to offer you half price on your multiroom for the next 12 months, would that change your mind?".
    It surely did, so that's saving me €7.50 per month for the next 12 months.

That's the option they are giving anyway to new customers. When I seen this on the Sky site a few days ago I was fuming, firstly they added €16 to my account a few months for no particular reason. I am calling up on Monday when the golf has finished and cancelling the lot, unless they offer me the full sports package for €25 a month, compared to the €76 Im currently paying, then I'll watch the stuff online in future. It's just way too much money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dkelly wrote: »
    I just called and got 20% off Sky World Pack for six months I wanted to cancel the movies..... about 2 mins of a call.

Are you committed to a new 6 month contract ?

Are you committed to a new 6 month contract ?
    No, by accepting the 20% reduction for six months you just have to commit to stay with the package that you are on for a further 30 days. You can cancel or downgrade any time after that but you will stop getting the 20% discount if you do.
    Your monthly payment will be reduced by 20% for six months as a sweetener to stay on that package.
    It's a win win situation really:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

I threatened to cancel last week and got 20% off for a year :D

dubmick wrote: »
    I threatened to cancel last week and got 20% off for a year :D
    I Knew I should have held out for more !!!
    Any advice on getting a cheap Sky+ box out of them? Checked online & its €199 for existing customers including installation:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Fionagus wrote: »
    I Knew I should have held out for more !!!
    Any advice on getting a cheap Sky+ box out of them? Checked online & its €199 for existing customers including installation:eek:
    I used same method as OP last August for Sky+ box
    Got it for 50Eur (inc installation) when I said I wanted to quit sky completely!

Will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

My mam was offered Sports+Movies for €20 extra for three months in early December. She called up today to cancel the premium packages, saying she'd prefer not to cancel and would reconsider if there was another special offer going. The guy just repeated that the premiums would be cut off in the next 4 hours. Shes asked again and he couldn't get off the phone quick enough.

Needless to say she's a bit peeved as they were all sweetness and light back in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That's true. When I cancelled Sky I was offered a Sky+ box free of charge which I already had. I was cancelling anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That's true. When I cancelled Sky I was offered a Sky+ box free of charge which I already had. I was cancelling anyway.

Same happened to me so I had to ask if they had any "special offers" at the moment that they could offer me, once I did that I was offered 50% off my package for 6 months, seems that if you don't ask you won't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

got 20% off yesterday for 6 months. Should have held off for the 50% :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

well cancelling can they see how much you watching the channel.

Sky Sports is on most of the weekend in my house so wondering would it I said I want to cancel as I don't watch it will it work

Trampas wrote: »
    well cancelling can they see how much you watching the channel.

No

tweety76 wrote: »
    Same happened to me so I had to ask if they had any "special offers" at the moment that they could offer me, once I did that I was offered 50% off my package for 6 months, seems that if you don't ask you won't get.

Just out of interest was that the Irish or Scottish call centre you dealt with ?

Did you have to sign up to a new 6 month contract?
    Just out of interest was that the Irish or Scottish call centre you dealt with ?

I'd like to know this too.

just to repeat, I got 20% of for a year. I was through to the Irish centre. I was originally offered 50% off for 3 months but then I asked could I get a discount for a year.

I had to sign up for another year to get the deal.

well actually I am not sure where it was because I think the gentleman that I spoke to was Indian!

Soarer wrote: »
    Did you have to sign up to a new 6 month contract?

I'd like to know this too.

Hi Soarer,

No I didn't have to sign any new contract.

well actually I am not sure where it was because I think the gentleman that I spoke to was Indian!

It was the Indian call centre so but they are linked to the UK centre.
    I rang up the other day and was offered half price for 3 months by an English chap in the Irish call centre.
    Very professional and friendly guy unlike the other agents I have spoken to in Cork who were completely ignorant ,rude,and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Just to update this thread -

I called Sky 2 weeks ago to cancel my Sports, was talking to an Irish girl and was kinda hoping that she'd offer a reduction - but she didn't. Just took the cancellation and didn't ask any questions.

On Friday I had a guy call me to offer me a great promotion from Sky..

Movies incl Sky Premier for 3 months at €14.99 a month
    Sky Sports (all channels) for 3 months at €4.99 a month

Or he offered both Sports and Movies for €20 a month for 3 months.

I said I'd take the combined package, but I'd take it for 6 months. He said he'd come back to me on Monday with confirmation for the deal.

I'll be fairly happy if/when he does come back. Was gonna bring in the Sports for the end of the Heiniken Cup/Premiership anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭dave_29

Mmcd wrote: »
    I used same method as OP last August for Sky+ box
    Got it for 50Eur (inc installation) when I said I wanted to quit sky completely!

There was an offer in The Irish Mail on Sat & todays Sun World of a free sky+box, E50 installation if you mention a code from the paper AFAIK.

I dont have the papers on me, as i just glanced at them in passing in the shop today.

But could find out & pass it on here.

Ps. I was on that before Xmas of the E20 sports+movies for 3mths & was told to ring again soon In Jan when offer ends to see if there any more available

Advertisement