Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any rail car parks allow Credit Card payment?

Options
  • 27-02-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if any rail carparks allow Credit Card payment at the machines, the machine in Leixlip Confey says it is not available and there is also no way of paying by notes.

So only coins allowed which is a major pain for the customer (no surprise there from IR), but probably generates more cash for the operators as people will tend to pay with smaller amounts i.e. for a 5 day week 20x€2 per day= €40, as oppose to €28 for the month.

thanks

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The one in Cork accepts credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Connolly Station car park as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We've been through a very similar topic recently.
    manc wrote: »
    So only coins allowed which is a major pain for the customer (no surprise there from IR),
    Irish Rail don't own or run the car parks. CIÉ own them and I think NCPS run them.
    but probably generates more cash for the operators as people will tend to pay with smaller amounts i.e. for a 5 day week 20x€2 per day= €40, as oppose to €28 for the month.
    Is there a month charge option available?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Victor wrote: »
    We've been through a very similar topic recently.Irish Rail don't own or run the car parks. CIÉ own them and I think NCPS run them.

Strictly speaking, Irish rail don't own their stations either, cie owns 'em too.
    But as Barry Kenny who works for Irish rail ses the money left over from the clamping company will be used by irish rail, then Irish rail should have made sure there was a customer friendly method of paying for the car parking. The luas car parks take credit cards for payment. these were introduced before most of the irish rail pay car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

We've been through a very similar topic recently.Irish Rail don't own or run the car parks. CIÉ own them and I think NCPS run them.

Is there a month charge option available?

On their big sign as you go into the station sign there is, but when you go to pay the weekly amount is the max. I only paid for the very odd day up to this morning.

EDIT: I looked at the signs this morning and noticed the montly fee of €28 has been removed and now you can only pay €2/day or €8/week. They took the machine away a couple of weeks ago, maybe they replaced the the signs then as tehre definately was a monthly fee on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK, question: are you trying to pay a €2 parking charge with a credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

No, but thats beside the point. The machine has a CC facility that would be less hassle to customers than having to have change on them, but they have not enabled it.

You can with the luas car parks.
    The technology exists.
    The Luas carparks were designed to be pay carparks from the outset.
    the train station carparks were free until sometime last year.
    Ireland's most successful public transport company allow fares as low as a cent to be paid for by credit card.

If Irish Rail wanted to give a good standard of customer experience, they would have allowed cc/dc/and banknote payment for their carparks; or not charged for them at all during times of low demand. They would also have allowed monthly and annual tickets to let their customers avail of taxsaver savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 heini

the credit card option seems to be there now - certainly on the Dart lines - its 30quid for the month

Is it not 30 euros for 4 weeks as opposed to a month. Monthly tickets would really put the pressure on IÉ to offer taxsaver versions.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement