Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female related archery problem.

Options
  • 26-02-2009 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Heya all, i am new to the wonderful world of archery and have been doing it around a month or so. Things were going okay, but not great and i couldn't work out, until today.....

I noticed that when i tried to pull the string back in allingment with my chin, i would have good position, but sometime would cause the string to dag after being released..my chest. I have a rather large female chest if you catch my drift and was wondering how can i get good technique for drawing without holding the bow next to my body?

Any advice would be great =).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Hello,

1. Make sure you pull the string into the *side* of your boob, as opposed to across it - this should improve the dragging problem

2. Try pinging oldbloke on the sagi board or archery interchange - he makes custom chest guards - I got one for a well endowed female I'm acquainted with.

Regards

Ewan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭lilRedSmurf

Hi there!

Ok... Us girlies have a habit of dropping the hip when we stand. When you drop the hip its almost impossible to keep your bow arm in a good line.

If you take a mirror with you next time you're training (or get it filmed if you can) so you can see exactly what you're up to its a great help.

Basically when you're on the shooting line keep those feet nice and parallel, shoulders directly above the hips and stand nice and straight like you're in stiletto's. (bum out, chest out and shoulders down!;))

When you're nice and straight simply lift your arm from the rotator cuff as if you're standing between 2 panes of glass.

Once you get the stance right for your body shape the line of the string should sit comfily at the edge of the "armpit to side boob" area thus avoiding anything that needs avoiding....

Renegade's right cos a chest guard's gonna be a big help with keeping the girls in check too.

(Thank god we're not amazons... They just used to chop the left one off !!! :eek: )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

n check too.

(Thank god we're not amazons... They just used to chop the left one off !!! :eek: )

And if they later had twins.................................?:D

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Oy....those poor amazons!!!

Anyway thanks for all your wonderful help =). I can't wait to go training again to try out all your tips =).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 English Coach

Hi don't worry, there are ways around the problem

1 Stand tall, with shoulders back, ensure you stand square to the target i.e feet, hips,shoulders all in line with the target.

2. Keep the bowstring close to your left shoulder( I am presuming you are r/h) so that the bowstring will come down the side of your breast.

3. Wear a sports bra or a bra which will pull your breasts more central(there is no easy way to describe this).

4. Shoot a shorter length bow. for example if the recommended length of bow you wpould normally shoot is 66" shoot a 64".

5. Use a high grip rather than a low one- you may need help to build up your existing grip.

6. Probably the most important, dont use a mesh style chestguard- use a smooth leather style or sew/stick leather or plastic material on top of existing mesh chestguard so string can escape the chest guard contact more easily.

Incorporate all these things into your technique and things will get much better for you.

God luck with your archery.

Richard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

(bum out, chest out and shoulders down!;))

Dont think that would be advisable, if you do that then you put a huge amount of strain on your lower back, I do it all the time and it dose bother you after a while. Rather than chest and bum out you should have your shoulders down, your core muscels tight and your bum pulled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Memori

Just a little extra thing to note.

It's very difficult to get a chest guard to fit just right so you might need to find a seamstress in your area to custom fit your guard for you. It really does make a huge difference to your shot and your comfort levels if the guard is contoured properly.

And I would definitely recommend a really good sports bra, it helps to flatten your profile a little.

Best of luck.

Advertisement