Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight like apes

Options
  • 26-02-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who on here has the album by the dublin based fight like apes. Did a quick search and showed no results, surpised to see noones talknig bout em. Picked up there album there the other day and ive been listening to it non stop. Some unreal songs on the album, with some really nice bass work.

Anyone else think there any good?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gasolinehorsey

its a fairly good album alright

check out the video for the new single on youtube, fairly impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Yeah I have it too.

The first half is really good and then the second not so much. That Megameanie song cuts the album in half. Good one side, bad the other.

''About as much use as a cuntless whore..'' What a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Love Jake Summers. Really like some of the other stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 donkeypop

Yeah I have it too.

The first half is really good and then the second not so much. That Megameanie song cuts the album in half. Good one side, bad the other.

''About as much use as a cuntless whore..'' What a line.

Without meaning to be too crude, I can think of some...ahem...uses for a "cuntless whore". :pac:

It's a very good album though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

We did have a thread about this already. Great album, great live, cant say enough greats. My fav is Battlestations...I loves it I does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Must stick this on when i get home ! Agree - great bass work.

A great "Friday Album"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea i saw em live up in dublin there a few months back, was kinda dragged to the gig as i didnt have a clue who they were. The lead singer dudette is crazy. Great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

they're alright, I like battlestations too

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They're **** imo.

Horrible album and a horrible singer. It's a sad state of affairs when this is the sort of thing being hailed as Ireland's best right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i have to agree...meaningless lyrics...nothing to say....kitch 80's influences....contrived bollox and no tunes....met the lead singer ages ago....fairly primadonna.....

• Advertisement

I think they're ok. My housemate is mad about the album, so he listens to it a fair bit. Definitely a grower and definitely not bland. Unlike most Irish music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Havn't listen to the album myself, but have a few tracks off the EP, always struck me as more of a live band, they have an energy on stage that I think fails to translate to record really...
    I've seen them live a few times and like them, they're good fun nothing more nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

For anyone about to check out Fight Like Apes.... i'd recommend you to check out Hooray For Humans instead! Far far better band....

www.myspace.com/hoorayforhumansband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

For anyone about to check out Fight Like Apes.... i'd recommend you to check out Hooray For Humans instead! Far far better band....

Yeah these guys are great, better than FLA I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I think they're ok. My housemate is mad about the album, so he listens to it a fair bit. Definitely a grower and definitely not bland. Unlike most Irish music.

^^ this.

FLA are just ok, they are a better band live than on record.

couldn't agree more, but they need a new album out i've totally overplayed 'safekeeping' to the point that i find it hard to listen to it again. i just have to give it time i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ive seen hooray for humans live a few times and listened to a few of there tunes, never though they were anything special tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Fight like apes are a far cry from what i usually listen too but i think they're brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Have the album, listen to it a fair bit and really like it, but in all honesty I think if I hadn't seen them live I wouldn't be into them on the strength of the album alone. It's music to go apesh1t to (see what I did there) in the company of a couple hundred sweaty strangers, there's something lost in the translation from gig to record, definitely. That said the album is still decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Xavi6 wrote: »
    They're **** imo.

Horrible album and a horrible singer. It's a sad state of affairs when this is the sort of thing being hailed as Ireland's best right now.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I think the album's great but it took a long time to grow on me. Jake Summers is bloody fantastic, but it took about ten listens before I stopped thinking it was tuneless nonsense.

It's a bit disposable and obviously not the kind of album that I'm still going to be listening to in five years though. I'm trying not to overplay it at the moment because once I get sick of it I don't think I'll ever listen to it again. But for the minute I'm happy to bounce around to it at home.

As far as Irish bands go I think it's commendable, because that kind of pop stuff isn't something we do incredibly well and since the demise of the Chalets it's great to hear a band that are at least trying to do stylish, quirky pop instead of the usual dreary and soul sucking boys with guitars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

i got the album after i went to see them in nov,the rocked live and the album is fecking great.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

It's music to go apesh1t to (see what I did there)

mjr950.jpg

I really like Jake Summers, my friend and I always scream the lyrics and go crazy.

"Hooray For Humans" is great. Really getting into them! might go see them actually. Then off to An Cruiscin Lan the following day for more gigs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i have to agree...meaningless lyrics...nothing to say....kitch 80's influences....contrived bollox and no tunes....met the lead singer ages ago....fairly primadonna.....

ive met mary kate a few times and I couldnt say she's "fairly primadonna" - quite the opposite .. very down to earth and nice (as are the rest of the band).

Good band but personally I'd prefer to hear newer stuff. The album is basically the set they've been playing for the past three or four years and Im a tad bored with it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

speaking of apes what ye think of this fella???
    96F05F1BD1594B099B32DF2B6C22E84E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Patricide wrote: »
    Did a quick search and showed no results, surpised to see noones talknig bout em.

did you try searching the forum from about 3 years ago? They get boring very fast. Total gimmick band

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

red_ice wrote: »
    did you try searching the forum from about 3 years ago? They get boring very fast. Total gimmick band

Well seen as his post is from Feb of 2009, it would only be two years:rolleyes: but i'm sure he was waiting for the last 15months for your reply.

This zombie is now being beheaded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement