Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfer's Ear - Custom Earplugs

Options
  • 26-02-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hey all...

does anyone know where you can get custom made earplugs measured & made. I'm developing problems, and the missus has been diagnosed with it too.

Already tried using the Docs Proplugs, haven't found them that good, ears (Inside) are still getting wet. Blue tac was ok but just not happy with putting that stuff in my noggin...

If anyone can recommend anywhere, or some plugs would really appreciate it.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

Not wanting to ask a stupid question but have you tried swimmers earplugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

loctite wrote: »
    Hey all...

does anyone know where you can get custom made earplugs measured & made. I'm developing problems, and the missus has been diagnosed with it too.

Already tried using the Docs Proplugs, haven't found them that good, ears (Inside) are still getting wet. Blue tac was ok but just not happy with putting that stuff in my noggin...

If anyone can recommend anywhere, or some plugs would really appreciate it.

Cheers

I feel your pain!

Try an audiologist, the type of place that offers hearing tests and hearing aids. They often make custom plugs for hearing protection but might be able to sort something out specifically for water-based sports.

Just be aware that any such plugs will block 90%+ of external noise so no more chatting in the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i asked my surf instructor about this last winter, and he swears by blue tack. has tried most of the earplugs and all that out there, and still just swears by blue tack. i keep intending to give it a go myself, but never quite remember till im in the water and the wind's blowing in my poor ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Used d blue tac already...
    But by its very nature attracts all manner of stuff to it and caught an ear infection after using it for a couple of days... I reckn Blue tack ain't the most hygenic ( I know ya can just break off another piece ) any bit of sand or dirt on yer hands is goin into a nice warm ear for a couple of hours... Never a good thing...

think have it sorted anyway, found an audiologist in Limerick so heading this week to get moulds made.... hopefully can get ones where I can still hear....
    cheers for Input..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ooh, thanks for that, fair point. it's getting into autumn here, and it's really only a matter of time before i finally get round to getting something for my ears... will avoid d blu-tack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

think have it sorted anyway, found an audiologist in Limerick so heading this week to get moulds made.... hopefully can get ones where I can still hear....
    cheers for Input..
    Hey man,
    Whereabouts is that audiologist in limerick? Think i saw a place in catherine street before but im not sure. Wouldnt mind looking into the earplugs aswell. Did he give you a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Decos wrote: »
    Hey man,
    Whereabouts is that audiologist in limerick? Think i saw a place in catherine street before but im not sure. Wouldnt mind looking into the earplugs aswell. Did he give you a price?

Yep on Catherine St...

Was around 120 yo yos. Bit Steep, but 3000 for ear surgery vs. 120 for plugs... no contest.

Advertisement