Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shower Please Advice Plz?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Our shower at home is falling apart and I want to get in a new one.

I'm not sure how these things work but I believe it to be a gravity fed shower and the hot water comes from the tank in the roof.

I'm wondering if I can get some sort of pump on the shower to beef it up a bit from it's current dribble state. I remember seeing something like a pump in B&Q a while back but I was in there the other day and they weren't there any more...?

Queries:
    Could I do this job myself or will I need a plumber?
    If I do require a plumber how much would you expect me to have to fork out here?
    The extra pump thing would need power, where would that come from?

Thanks so much for any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Bill-e wrote: »
    Hey,

Our shower at home is falling apart and I want to get in a new one.

I'm not sure how these things work but I believe it to be a gravity fed shower and the hot water comes from the tank in the roof.

I'm wondering if I can get some sort of pump on the shower to beef it up a bit from it's current dribble state. I remember seeing something like a pump in B&Q a while back but I was in there the other day and they weren't there any more...?

Queries:
    Could I do this job myself or will I need a plumber?
    If I do require a plumber how much would you expect me to have to fork out here?
    The extra pump thing would need power, where would that come from?

Thanks so much for any help!

Showers can be: (a) gravity fed with cold water from an attic tank, when they then heat it to the required temperature with a heater cannister inside their casings. (b) fed from the house mains water supply, again with an internal heater, or (c) fed with cold water from the attic tank and hot water from the copper cylinder with a mixer tap to control the output temperature. Some have an internal pump that boosts the pressure (power showers).

So, to replace it in the easiest way: If, as you say, it is fed from the attic tank (that will be cold water, not hot) and if it has a dial on the front of the casing that allows you to adjust the temperature, then a replacement that is designed for gravity feed will work and require some but probably not extensive piping modifications. It's a mixer type (c) then a bit more plumbing will probably be necessary, but not too extensive. (b) could need the services of a plumber if you are not experienced with such things.

The main thing to think about is the electrics if you intend to use one with an internal heater and/or pump and if the existing one doesn't have them. Then you need to be very proficient in electrical installations since only "competent" electricians can do such work under existing regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Thanks Art,

I think it's defiantly the 3rd type(c) that you mentioned...
    Better not go at it myself, will get a plumber.

As my old boss used to say after years of abuse from his wife to do jobs in the house "always get a man in to do the job" I think in this case it would be a good idea.

Now I just got to figure out what's good value for my money.

Advertisement