Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Cab Monitor Issue

Options
  • 26-02-2009 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi - recently acquired an original tekken 3 cab, on the basis that it wasnt known if it worked or not. Powered it up when I got it home (arms still killing....such a dead weight), and the cab turned on, along with the monitor...albeit just a bluey/white screen. Left it be for 10 or 15 mins and it stayed the same. Pulled out the tekken board and put in a street fighter 2 board, and a better result. The game booted, sound is 100% but the picture display is heavily distorted moving to one side (games not playable). Ive found the pots for adjustment, however there are only 2 (brightness and focus/sharpness as far as I can tell). The question is this....Ive heard of monitors requiring cap kits after a number of years...would this be a symptom of a capacitor issue? Or does it sound like the monitor is fubar?

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Hi,

The pots you are adjusting are the wrong ones,the ones you are adjusting are on the HV to the top of the monitor,there should be some on the monitor board about 4-5 in a row ,there the ones you need to stop the scroling etc.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Hi - recently acquired an original tekken 3 cab, on the basis that it wasnt known if it worked or not. Powered it up when I got it home (arms still killing....such a dead weight), and the cab turned on, along with the monitor...albeit just a bluey/white screen. Left it be for 10 or 15 mins and it stayed the same. Pulled out the tekken board and put in a street fighter 2 board, and a better result. The game booted, sound is 100% but the picture display is heavily distorted moving to one side (games not playable). Ive found the pots for adjustment, however there are only 2 (brightness and focus/sharpness as far as I can tell). The question is this....Ive heard of monitors requiring cap kits after a number of years...would this be a symptom of a capacitor issue? Or does it sound like the monitor is fubar?

Cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cheers mitch, was hoping you would reply.....I stared at the monitor guts for half an hour today to look for more pots and cant for the life of me see where they are. Normally they are all in a row on the board as you said, in my other cab there are 5 all side by side...but this one only seems to have the two, one on top of the other. Ill have another look on Sat and try get some pics up if I dont see em - cheers mitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pool-champ

Cheers mitch, was hoping you would reply.....I stared at the monitor guts for half an hour today to look for more pots and cant for the life of me see where they are. Normally they are all in a row on the board as you said, in my other cab there are 5 all side by side...but this one only seems to have the two, one on top of the other. Ill have another look on Sat and try get some pics up if I dont see em - cheers mitch

If i remember correctly the namco cab you have .The pots you need to adjust are on an extender pcb inside the front panel to make ajusmemet easier ,Also you could take a pic of the picture for me to see if you need a cap kit ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maxheadr00m

If it needs a Cap kit you can send the chassis to craig walker at www.giz10p.co.uk hes very good and quick top guy in the monitor area.

max

If it needs a Cap kit you can send the chassis to craig walker at www.giz10p.co.uk hes very good and quick top guy in the monitor area.

max

Why would you want to send it to him in uk for,There is plenty of others in ireland would do it, Even himself all he needs is a bit of help and actully i dont think it needs a cap kit done

• Advertisement

Mitch & Pool - gentlemen and scholars. Found the daughter-board behind the front panel, adjusted to within range. Once I got the picture straight, its revealed two other issues.

1 - the pincushion adjustment for the extreme sides of the image doesnt seem to work, the image is heavily inverted at the sides and wont adjust into range, I can see it adjusting a small bit but then the pot reaches its max.

2 - After warming up, the screens brightness will intensify during an image change, i.e. after a fight is over the screen fades to black before the next round/fight, but instead of fading the brighness increases to reveal some wavy lines all across the image. It sounds worse than it is but if its something I can fix myself Id rather do it....

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys

Paul

Right paul sounds good at least you have something .

1/ Its been a while but can you give me make and type of monitor it is .

2/ Have you adjusted any pots on the chasis at all there should be one for power on the chassis see if the silicone has moved from locking it in place.
    dont move it it has not been done allready

3/ Sounds like either the original owner may have moved the power supply +5 to see if he could get a picture to lock so you may need to get a meter in maplins for a tenner and always good to have around to set at 5.15 volts ..

4/Also the original two pots you were moving are (bottom)brightness (top)focus try to mix adjustments with sub board as you could have contrast on sub pcb to high to get a brighter pic and should have used the brightness ..

After that i will need to see pictures as it could be a number of differant things but most likely what i have said .

Regards Alan

Found some time today to open up the cab (im converting my disused shed into a snooker/arcade room so its taking most of my free time). I checked the voltage form the psu, its reading 5.2 volts - so this appears ok. Ill try take some pics soon, but whilst digging around in the cab Ive realised its NOT an original tekken 3 cab, but possibly a conversion of sorts.

It has all the artwork, marque, sidework, control panel overlay, monitor bezel special move info etc, so it raises the question of in the event of going down the cap kit road - how do I identify the monitor? Its a hantarex, measuring from left to right 19". But Ive looked online for ages now how to differentiate the different variants but cant find anything....can anyone shed a little light on it?

It has two pots on the back only, then a daughter board for fine tuning. Can see any stickers with relevant model info....

Found some time today to open up the cab (im converting my disused shed into a snooker/arcade room so its taking most of my free time). I checked the voltage form the psu, its reading 5.2 volts - so this appears ok. Ill try take some pics soon, but whilst digging around in the cab Ive realised its NOT an original tekken 3 cab, but possibly a conversion of sorts.

It has all the artwork, marque, sidework, control panel overlay, monitor bezel special move info etc, so it raises the question of in the event of going down the cap kit road - how do I identify the monitor? Its a hantarex, measuring from left to right 19". But Ive looked online for ages now how to differentiate the different variants but cant find anything....can anyone shed a little light on it?

It has two pots on the back only, then a daughter board for fine tuning. Can see any stickers with relevant model info....

It sounds like a namco cab .But you need to take a picture for me and a picture of the monitor pcb (chassis). And a picture of the tube front and back if you can .il pm you my details email/phone

Found a little more time today, and got some photos taken. Best I can deduce is its a Hantarex Polo, 20/21". I think they sell the cap kits here http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/490549001.htm - second from the end is the polo kit.

Anyway, the pics should hopefully identify the monitor and the issues its having (concaved sides, horizontal lines after its been on for 5+ mins. They are taken in the converted shed which I just finished laying the carpet in today. Snooker table next......

Cheers guys

• Advertisement

Few more pics. The machine is very grubby but I havnt really even touched it since I got it, Im going to fully restore it eventually. Cheers again

Thanks for the pics .
    Right where to start

1/ Its not a namco its a midway killer instinct 1 cab.It has had a monitor change to a way smaller one than it should be
    2/ Thats street fighter 2 world warrior in the cab .But you have a namco pcb so it looks like tekken 2
    3/ It looks like you dont need a cap change only to rechange the adjustments

So first off you need to adjust pot in lower right of monitor board .till he cover the white lines as thats your voltage pot and should really not be moved ,
    Then you need to up the brightness on the sub board and adjust the contrast to focus.
    Next you have a pincusion that needs to be brought in line (curves on the screen )
    Last two are vert and horn size need to be streched to get height and width .
    If you need brighter colours use the r,b,g pots on the neck board .

Please do all adjusetments after the 5 min + have heated the tube .
    Let me know how you get on

Cheers Al,

That Street Fighter 2 board is my own which Im currently using just to power up the cab. It came with a namco pcb which I assume is Tekken 3 but its dead and doesnt even power so thats for another day.

Ill follow your advice re the voltage pot on the monitor board, however the pincushion pot for the side of the monitor are maxed, so I cant straighten up the pic. Akaik the vertical and horizontal are maxed too but Ill verify this.

Well if that is the case ,Im afraid there person has put a 14in chasis into your tube and you will need to get another from some where or send to eurocoin.co.uk to get a replacement http://www.eurocoin.co.uk/cat_bench_repair.cfm Far better than most in the uk

Thanks Al, thats bad news so..........

Before I go down the road of sending chassis off/buying new etc, are you absoloutely certain this picture warping cant be caused by an inefficient capacitor. Id much rather spend a few euro on a kit than god knows what for a chassis :)

When you say send off the chassis to the guys at eurocoin, are you implying they can fix/mod the chassis to the tube size I have? Or is it a part exchange thing they do? Any rough estimate as to how much a chassis will cost? Sorry for all the questions............

Secondly, what sixe monitor should have been in the cab? Any ideas where I might pic up a bigger one thats a little closer even to the original size?

No they will have to mod it for you as its a poker chassis ,But your looking at £35 for the honour of a replament just tell them what size you need .

Mesure from top left to bottom right of tube for correct size ..they will do it next day turnaround .

Ok Al, Ive emailed the guys at eurocoin so see what they come back with. Looking at the second photo I uploaded, is the part Ill be sending to them (the chassis) the actual pcb in the lower part of the board, or the small pcb at the back of the tube/neck in the upper part of the photo?

Thanks again Al

Advertisement