Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPHE: What subjects do you need to teach it?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got called in for a bit of subbing today and after lunch I'm going to have 2 classes in SPHE which I just found out means Social, Personal and Health Education. What degree subjects do you need to teach it? Has it any connection with CSPE (which is one of my subjects).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

As the title would suggest, this subject is mainly in the area of personal development and its taught from 1st to 3rd years. It has no real connection to CSPE (civil social and political education).

It covers things like friendships, health issues (smoking, alcohol etc), bullying, identity and sexuality.

There is a SPHE book and teachers guide but not sure how many schools actually use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I don't think you need necessarily certain subjects to teach it (the Teaching Council will probably say different), but I am an English teacher and I teach it, in my school there are two Irish teachers and a music teacher teaching it also. I went to one of the Inservice courses and there were lots of teachers of different subjects there.

It does have some cross-overs with Religion, CSPE and Home Economics though, so if you have a background in one of those areas it might be helpful, but the course is really general knowledge stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

As above. Your main challenge with it is keeping the kids on track (what else is new) as it's not very stimulating stuff. I'd go as far as to say it's quite boring for all concerned if you just use the book. It's along the lines of 'wash your face when you get up in the morning' 'don't take heroin' 'walk tall' 'love yourself and others'. Common sense. Can generate good group discussions though. Good luck.;)

Advertisement