Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London trip

Options
  • 26-02-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

i am not sure if this is the correct forum for this, so mods, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum

i am going to london for the weekend and i was wondering would it be better to get an oyster card or one of those travel cards for the 3 days?

any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

I have an oyster card, handy as I go to London 3 or 4 times a year.

The oyster is capped so you won't pay anymore then you would buying the 3 day ticket, as far as I know.

I suppose its preference really, do u visit London often, or is there other people you can lend it to when they visit?

H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

My last trip to London last year, they gave me the option of either a 3 day paper ticket and a one day for the last day and a Heathrow tube fare into the city or the same on an Oyster card. I took the Oyster Card as it ended up being as handy and as cheap to take the weeks travel and it worked out well.

If you are flying into Heathrow, there is a TfL desk that can fill you in on the options; I can't speak for the other airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Def Oyster card. You get what money is left on it back when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

thanks for the replies, the tfl website is a bit confusing as it seems to contradict itself about getting an oyster card for non residents. i think i will get one.

flying into stanstead, the train to the city will probably cost more than the ryanair flight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sútalún

dmeehan wrote: »
    thanks for the replies, the tfl website is a bit confusing as it seems to contradict itself about getting an oyster card for non residents. i think i will get one.

flying into stanstead, the train to the city will probably cost more than the ryanair flight!!

Yeah it's really expensive alright! Stanstead Express.. Handiest way to get out of Stanstead thoughBuy it on your flight though. You'll get a reduced price. The one day tube tickets are fairly cheap. I was there for 3 nights and just got one of them each day. But whatever seems handier for you; never really looked into an oyster card to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'd go for the Oyster Card.

Have one myself but go to London a few times per year. Just stick a few quid on it and it automatically calculates the cheapest fare for you depending on your usage.
    as it seems to contradict itself about getting an oyster card for non residents
    You don't have to be a resident. Just go up to the ticket desk in any Underground station and ask for one with whatever amount of top-up you want on it. You don't even have to give your name, never mind your address. I think you can register your Oyster Card (so you won't lose your credit if it's lost or stolen) and you'd need to be a UK resident for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Go for Oyster especially if you plan to return to London at any time in the future.

You can buy it at any underground/DLR station and there is no need to register it. Then put about GBP20 on it and away you go. You may or may not use it all, but it'll still be there next time you visit and you can use it again!

If you're flying into Stansted then you can get one at the London Underground ticket office in Liverpool Street Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

oyster it is so me thinks

Sútalún wrote: »
    Yeah it's really expensive alright! Stanstead Express.. Handiest way to get out of Stanstead thoughBuy it on your flight though. You'll get a reduced price. The one day tube tickets are fairly cheap. I was there for 3 nights and just got one of them each day. But whatever seems handier for you; never really looked into an oyster card to be honest.

Anyone know how much cheaper the Stansted Express is if you buy the ticket on the flight?

I'm flying into Stansted in a few weeks when I'm going to London. I usually try an get flights into Gatwick or Heathrow if at all possible because the price of the train from Stansted is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I've never taken the Express from Stansted, but instead have got the ordinary train. It only takes a couple of minutes longer and has always been at least a fiver cheaper.

As for the Oyster, I have one and it is so handy as long as you don't run out of credit when trying to get the night bus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

If you are going to Heathrow you also have a similar option to Paddington.

Heathrow Connect - 25 minute journey - newer trains - 6.90 single
    Heathrow Express - 18 minute journey - TV screens blaring full of ads - 16.50 single

I always get the Connect! :)

It's the same in Gatwick. The non-express service is £6 cheaper than the 'express' service and only takes 5-10 mins longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

And if you're going to Luton and want to get into Central London use this:
    http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/fcc/advancePurchase.aspx

If you print your tickets at home, you get them for 10 quid single, instead of 18 quid if you bought them at the ticket office. Also allows you on free shuttle from the Airport terminal to Parkway Station which is about 10 mins drive away, and then you get the train to St Pancras.

Advertisement