Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Tattoo

Options
  • 26-02-2009 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

Am looking to get a new tattoo before the summer (general guidline no reason) havent got time to price them up so need a little help on the subject. I am looking to get David Beckhams side tattoo -see attached.

Obviously my own saying, could someone price this type of work. Im from Dublin so say a good parlour with decent prices.

Thanks CM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

marshall11 wrote: »
    Hi,

Am looking to get a new tattoo before the summer (general guidline no reason) havent got time to price them up so need a little help on the subject. I am looking to get David Beckhams side tattoo -see attached.

Obviously my own saying, could someone price this type of work. Im from Dublin so say a good parlour with decent prices.

Thanks CM

Hi

You'd be looking (approx.) €150 for something like that, you couldnt do any better than going to a studio yourself though. Is the tattoo in Chinese? Be VERY sure what you're getting is an accurate translation. Maybe you're fluent in the language, then its all good, but you dont want this: http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/essays/tattoos.htm
    Any half decent studio should be able to facilitate your tattoo, my personal choices for studios to use are Zulu, Snakebite and Colourworks. Others have recommended Art Tattoo and Wildcat on other posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 marshall11

No Im not fluent but will be researching it extensively as you can imagine I dont want to get any owl saying tattooed onto me. Thanks for this I'll try out a few of these spots when I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

No Im not fluent but will be researching it extensively as you can imagine I dont want to get any owl saying tattooed onto me. Thanks for this I'll try out a few of these spots when I get a chance.

by choosing this tattoo, you are in fact getting "any owl saying" tattooed to you. you even introduced it as the david beckham side piece. Spend some time working ut something that says soemthing abou you personally - other than "I like celebrities"

Haha well done. If you would of read my first opening thread you would see that I said I will be getting my own saying on it so hard luck you can move onto someone elses page with your pessimistic views. Dont want people like this replying to me. Thanks. Everyone else has been nothing but nice then along came you

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

How do you intend to research a phrase in a language which you cannot speak?

• Advertisement

you aren't following what I am saying here

it doesn't matter what it says, if you think about it. no one you know personally will be able to read it. all anyone will know isthat its a copy of beckhams tattoo, even you yourself are introducing it that way. it may as well say "I like celebs".

If I get something written in my native tongue only a small number of people would understand and in that case I would not get it in english as it has a national view involved and getting it done in english would undermine getting it at all and dont want to be upsetting anyone who reads it on for instance a foreign holidays were members of this country might also be.

How do you intend to research a phrase in a language which you cannot speak?

I know members of the chinese community who are fluent in english and would be happy to help

...I would not get it in english as it has a national view involved and getting it done in english would undermine getting it at all and dont want to be upsetting anyone who reads it on for instance a foreign holidays were members of this country might also be.

If it has a "national view", then would that be an "Irish nationalist" view? If so, why in a foreign language as opposed to Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Let me get this straight.

You want another persons tattoo, expressing a 'national' belief, written in a foreign language you do not speak, something that can't be expressed in English, but can, for some reason, be expressed in Chinese.

I think you need to put more thought into something original rather than taking a design off someone else and mashing it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 livfinch

hey,
    iv never used this site before so i dunno if any one can help me at all, but im lookin to get an accurate translation of 'to thine own self be true' into arabic for my first tattoo and im having real problems, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!!!
    cheers

Why arabic?

Make friends with an Arab? ;)

hahaha!!NO i just think it looks beautiful and i dont really want other people knowing what i says!:p
    iv found a few translations and i think there all great but i dont know which ones the most accurate?

مع نفسِك.. كن صادقاً
    أصدق مع نفسك
    كن صادقًا مع نفسك
    كن كما أنت حقا .
    i also want to try and get it written vertically if anyone knows!
    thanks

If you need something translated into Arabic, go to a resource for translating things into Arabic. This is a resource for tattoos and piercings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

livfinch wrote: »
    hey,
    iv never used this site before so i dunno if any one can help me at all, but im lookin to get an accurate translation of 'to thine own self be true' into arabic for my first tattoo and im having real problems, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!!!
    cheers

Like Damo said, why Arabic? Wht not Irish / Latin / Polish? I'm not having a go, I'm curious as to the relevence of Arabic to this tattoo and thus to your life. If its just because Arabic looks nice, i'd recommend a re-think and consider English while taking a good look through some fonts on a site such as www.dafont.com (handy site as you can type in the phrase and its displayed on-site) As for the translation, be wary of the free translation services onliine. Speak to someone who is fluent, failing that get a couple of translations on some Arab forums and see if you can get a consensus as to phraseology.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'll ask my mate if he can write it out for me next time i see him.
    Arabic is his first language and he's dead sound, so it should be solid enough.

I'll scan it into the computer like.

yea cheers gauge, state the obvious there!as i said in my comment if u even read it,im just lookin for some advice as iv exhausted all the means of translation available to me i thought people with tattoo experience may be able to assist me!u havnt so dont bother leavin smart ass comments for no reason.

cianryan thats really nice of u thanks a million!i dont know any fluent speakers so that would really help. As for the arabic i was gonna get it in irish but i just simply prefered how it looks in arabic, nothing more than that. the quote is really significant to me so i dont really mind what language its in. ill hav a look at those different fonts though..might change my mind!
    thanks again

yea cheers gauge, state the obvious there!as i said in my comment if u even read it,im just lookin for some advice as iv exhausted all the means of translation available to me i thought people with tattoo experience may be able to assist me!u havnt so dont bother leavin smart ass comments for no reason.

Anytime, you're welcome!

That was not a smart ass answer. It was a factual to-the-point answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

except that it kinda was a smartass reply. its the same any time anyone outside the same boring clique on this forum asks for anything. some people like how a script looks and as soon as they express an interest in it, but saying something relevant to themselves a lot of the regulars on here dismiss them as fools for daring to ask.

Except no, it wasn't. This isn't a translation service, and there are very few people here that would know anyone who would be able to translate something into Arabic. Personally, I was trying to figure out why the people would want to have a language that they cannot understand themselves tattooed upon their person.

We're totally open to new people, as anyone that posts her can attest to, even at our meetups we're open to all newbies too. Try reading back through all the threads made by people that just wander in here and see how many of them got good advice. We do not want someone coming back after getting a tattoo in a foreign language that they cannot even read after finding out that it can be interpreted in a different way to what they wanted. Google the story about the American girl with the "Drug'ail saor" tattoo for the kind of thing I am talking about.

longshanks wrote: »
    except that it kinda was a smartass reply. its the same any time anyone outside the same boring clique on this forum asks for anything. some people like how a script looks and as soon as they express an interest in it, but saying something relevant to themselves a lot of the regulars on here dismiss them as fools for daring to ask.

Hey. If you go into the gay/lesbian/bisexual forum, and ask where best to buy fashionable clothes, you'll be told you are in the wrong forum. Just because it seems connected, doesn't mean it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Can of worms lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Exactly, that writing looks better then english or irish for that matter especially when you are getting it done vertically, it just wouldnt fit on my side if I were to get it done in english.

Advertisement