Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare Sega Megadrive Games

Options
  • 26-02-2009 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I'm adding to my megadrive games collection and I'd like to pick up some rare games. Does anyone know what PAL format games are the rarest?

Or if anyone has a link to a site with this info it would be cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're sticking with PAL, then generally the stuff that was released in the later years as the production numbers are a lot lower.

Alien Soldier.
    Probotector.
    Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel etc

Do as search over on digital press for Genesis europe rare releases.

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/search.cmf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

****e i used to have probotector somewhere. streets of rage 3 is pretty rare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Racketboy is usually good for this stuff:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/genesis/2008/06/the-rarest-and-most-valuable-sega-genesis-megadrive-games.html

Probotector is is a fantastic game on the megadrive. Very underrated. In my opinion it is far and away the best contra/probotector game, well ahead of Contra 3 which usually gets that accolade.

Master of the Universe

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    ****e i used to have probotector somewhere. streets of rage 3 is pretty rare.

I remember seeing a copy on ebay for £9.99 buy it now. Decided not to get it. Changed my mind the next day and it was gone. :mad:

Streets of rage 3 is one of those games that isn't exactly crazy rare. It's just in high demand. There are always copies up on ebay selling for silly amounts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Streets of rage 3 is one of those games that isn't exactly crazy rare. It's just in high demand. There are always copies up on ebay selling for silly amounts.

It is actually very rare. It only got a limited release in the west becasue it didn't sell all that well, which is a surprise since SoR2 was so popular.

I wouldn't get an American or PAL copy though. They increased the difficulty level to absolutely insane levels making it nearly impossible. The japanese version is much better and fun since it's not as frustrating. It also has the really camp guy and I think an extra secret character that were cut for the western release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I have fond memories of playing Ghostbusters on the Mega-Drive but never would have realised it was rare? There's an awesome level where your going through a building and the Stay Puff Marshmellow Man is outside it! It looks **** in retrospect :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I don't know if it's rare but Rocket Knight Adventures is an amazing game, best game on the megadrive barring Gunstar Heroes for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't know if it's rare but Rocket Knight Adventures is an amazing game, best game on the megadrive barring Gunstar Heroes for me.

I have it. I think I'll have a look for probotector next.

Master of the Universe

It is actually very rare. It only got a limited release in the west becasue it didn't sell all that well, which is a surprise since SoR2 was so popular.

It's release numbers to demand ratio makes it desirable and go for quite a lot on ebay. You're not going to find it in half the attics of the world like Streets of Rage 2, but I wouldn't consider it *very* rare. *Kinda rare* maybe. :p
    I wouldn't get an American or PAL copy though. They increased the difficulty level to absolutely insane levels making it nearly impossible. The japanese version is much better and fun since it's not as frustrating. It also has the really camp guy and I think an extra secret character that were cut for the western release.

Bare Knuckle 3 is def the version to go with alright. Well, if you can deal with the region lockout!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly Retro, does a day go by into which you don't work the words
    "Gunstar Heroes"
    into a sentence?
    I mean, is it a couple of times a day?

for example...

That cup of tea was a real Gunstar Hero
    or maybe
    You know, this lump I just found on my testicle really makes me wish I was one of the Gunstar Heroes!

Just wondering ;)

Master of the Universe

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I have fond memories of playing Ghostbusters on the Mega-Drive but never would have realised it was rare? There's an awesome level where your going through a building and the Stay Puff Marshmellow Man is outside it! It looks **** in retrospect :/

I see that on a lot of lists and don't understand it myself. I had the game when I was younger too(traded it in for Another World after I'd completed it!) & remember seeing it around quite a bit.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    "Gunstar Heroes"
    into a sentence?

for example...

or maybe
    You know, this lump I just found on my testicle really makes me wish I was one of the Gunstar Heroes!

Just wondering ;)

Made me LOL anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

o1s1n wrote: »
    I see that on a lot of lists and don't understand it myself. I had the game when I was younger too(traded it in for Another World after I'd completed it!) & remember seeing it around quite a bit.

I would have imagined a game like Another World was rare or atleast in high demand, that is an awesome but difficult game.

"Gunstar Heroes"
    into a sentence?

for example...

or maybe

Just wondering ;)

Man, I ****ing love that game. I was annoyed I didn't have a SNES but when I took a chance by buying it after a Start Campbell rant in Sega Zone it made everything better. I'm not ashamed to say I'm obsessed and it made me a rabid Treasure fan.

As for Another World. I'd say the original PC and Amiga versions are more desireable and the preferred way of fans to play them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Alien soilder, had it once didnt care for it much, and there no point of getting a rare game if its crap.

Just get games that you enjoy playing. and Streets of rage 3 isn't Rare its just in high demand, and just remember that games can be had cheap just be patient

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought a couple of their games and, well, Ikaruga was well hard man, that made me feel small and inadequate as a gamer, I need to join some sort of manly gaming help organisation to get me through that game, start to finish and help me re-establish my masculinity :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

virtual bart is bit of a mystery,not sure if its greed or hype,sometimes you can get it dirt cheap or goes for insane prices,quick look on ebay you can get it for €25,where as sometimes i have seen it going for €400

appleidog wrote: »
    Alien soilder, had it once didnt care for it much, and there no point of getting a rare game if its crap.

Ah now it's not crap. It's just you really have to put a whole heap of work into it before you start enjoying it. Once you get it and start getting good at it it gets a lot better. It just takes a long time before then.
    I bought a couple of their games and, well, Ikaruga was well hard man, that made me feel small and inadequate as a gamer, I need to join some sort of manly gaming help organisation to get me through that game, start to finish and help me re-establish my masculinity :(

I never found Ikaruga that tough :/ It gets a lot of stick for being tough but I found it far more manageable than most games in the genre and it's one of the few I finished with only a few credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

talking of rare megadrive games i'm currently selling fully boxed dynamite headdy (Pal) and Thunder force IV Boxed with instructions aswell.

eek.gifand i never said it was a bad game alien soilder just isn't my cup of tea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement