Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP My Laptop!????

Options
  • 26-02-2009 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

hey all,

ok i'm in a bit of a sh1t situation with my laptop, and would like to hear your opinions on what the hell is up with it!!

I recently installed a fresh copy of xp pro on it. After a few days, I got a pop up saying.....click here to install updates....so i clicked!
    few minutes later....'please restart to activate the updates' - click again!

so...the pc goes off briefly and comes back on - as normal.

Here is where the problem is...it didnt REALLY come back on...the lights came on....hd light chugging away for a few seconds...noises from the dvd drive as usual...but thats it.....no startup screen...so boot screen...nada!
    Everything stops chugging after maybe 20 seconds and the only thing that shows it's got power to it are the lights on the front and the fan.

so i put back in my original xp disc to boot off the CD, but its not recognising it...everythings stops like before and back to nothing :(

this laptop is a hp tx1000 4gb dual core laptop....its about 2 years old or so id say.
    I've been using computers for the last 20 years or more and ive never seen this before...any suggestions boardsie's!??
    I'm willing to go to any lengths to keep it alive again!

cheers :eek:

q.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Start at the basics, can you get into the BIOS?

If so, what hardware is showing? Any errors? Anything missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 99qwerty99

ya see, that's the thing...if I got in, i'd be confident of gettnig this moving again. I can't get into anything....bascially looks the same as if someone disconnected the screen on the machine...it's bizarre!

Are there any tricks I could use to get it breathing properly again?....
    I've given it a good shake...and still nout :eek:!

thanks
    q.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Put it in the bin and buy a new one. It'll save all of us time and help to stimulate the economy.

well i could if i would but i cant... no savings and possible no job in a few months :( - Thanks for the helpful advice though...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

try connecting it to an external monitor, see if it is an issue with the onboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Call customer care XD

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

You said it did not recognise the boot up cd - how do you know that if you are not getting anything on the screen? The only way to diafnose the screen issue is to plug it into an external monitor and see if you get anything. TBH, it sounds like it is fried. Try and get a loan of anothe HP laptop, and swap out the HD and back up all your stuff.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kmick wrote: »
    Put it in the bin and buy a new one. It'll save all of us time and help to stimulate the economy.

Any more off topic/unhelpful posts will result in a weeks ban. You've all been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Connect it to an external monitor and see if you can get anything.

Also if you know how to reseat the cable connection from the monitor to the motherboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

The Laptop may not be going through POST (Power On Self Test) Properaly. Might be a memory problem. Try a reseat the the DIMM's or try one each indudvdually if you have more than one DIMM in the system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Any bleeps when you power on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

Firefox10 wrote: »
    The Laptop may not be going through POST (Power On Self Test) Properaly. Might be a memory problem. Try a reseat the the DIMM's or try one each indudvdually if you have more than one DIMM in the system.

+1 for this is the first instance.

Also, and USB devices plugged in? Unplug if any are, and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

My sister's laptop has a similar problem at the moment. The power lights are one, but the screen is black, so I just thought it was a dead screen and an external monitor would let me pull the files off.

But no - external monitor gets some signal, but nothing normal.

When it powers up, nothing comes up at all, no option to enter BIOS etc. Could it be malware?

hi all,

nope....no beeps of any sort on startup. Ill try taking the RAM out and checking it's connection this evening...I dunno if it's just me, but I feel like there's something more serious wrong...i mean.....i would be thinking it's something to do with the windows updates..was working perfectly before that :( AARRGGGHHHHHHH!!!
    fuppin' balls altogether

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

edanto wrote: »
    When it powers up, nothing comes up at all, no option to enter BIOS etc. Could it be malware?

Doubtful- there is very little malware out there that operates at a BIOS level (I haven't heard of any in several years).

You need to take components out one by one and test them. I'd also borrow a power supply that you know is working and test that too. Its a case of going through things one at a time to work out whats malfunctioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Loving the ad in the bottom left hand corner of this screen

HP Pavilion DV5-1112
    HP DV5-1112 Laptop £559.59 inc VAT Free Next Day Delivery

Well, I laughed...

yeah i saw that too :rolleyes:

so..incase any of you are looking at buying a HP Pavilion...DONT! Ive had alot of hassle with my machine since i got it.Although it's nice and cute and very functional and click looking....it just..... i dunno.....it's nowhere near the quality of the DELL laptops IMO.
    I have a 4 year old dell inspiron sitting beside this one...and it's still going strong.
    Each to their own tho i think. My housemate had his dell for a little over a year and one day the keys started falling off and breaking...DELL wanted to charge him silly money to replace it :rolleyes:

But anyway....looks like ill have to do a bit of messing about tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

smccarrick wrote: »
    Doubtful- there is very little malware out there that operates at a BIOS level (I haven't heard of any in several years).

You need to take components out one by one and test them. I'd also borrow a power supply that you know is working and test that too. Its a case of going through things one at a time to work out whats malfunctioning.

+1...or route cause analysis as we call it in the business.:D Let us know how you get on anyway.

Advertisement