Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimalist bike shed

Options
  • 26-02-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Knocking down our big old concrete shed where my bike currently sleeps for extra patio space.
    I'Okayed this provided we can store
    1 bike (me) + 2*(kids -> fullsize) + my partner's(a.k.a my spare bike)
    = 4 bikes frames ( and trailer + whatever other stuff is hanging around)

I'm looking for a flat pack timber shed of appropriate dimensions, or any other ideas.
    Security is a separate matter, being able to roll out the right bike quickly each morning is the ideal.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe put a bike rack in the shed?

I have similar problem, except the shed is also full of lawnmover, petrol-powered pressure washer, and ten years of gadgets, bike and car stuff. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd go for a Protect-A-Cycle -a little pricey at about 500 stg, but very secure.

-that one is rated for 3 bikes, but there are bigger, similar ones out there

that one is rated for 3 bikes, but there are bigger, similar ones out there

Any links? I'm too lazy to google...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I'm hoping to get one of these sometime. It got good reviews in Cycling Plus magazine.

Apparently, four bikes can go in at a push.

Lumen wrote: »
    Any links? I'm too lazy to google...

I had a quick look, but couldn't remember the name... was in C+ a (good?) few months ago... big green, metal storage shed

• Advertisement

I had a quick look, but couldn't remember the name... was in C+ a (good?) few months ago... big green, metal storage shed

Asgard 'Secure Bike' Steel Bicycle Sheds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

If you have one long wall, you can make your own bike rack inside a shed easily enough.
    I'd show you a picture of my setup, but it's on my other camera, and I'm in Malta at the minute.
    What I did was lay two parrallel lenghts of wood (2x4 I'd say) on the ground. These should far enough apart as possible, without the wheel touching the ground. In my setup this works for 26" MTB wheel, 700c and 29" hyrbrid bike.
    The bikes will be stored vertically against the wall, so for the front wheel, you need something to receive the wheel. I cut up some scrap MDF I had, and made a |_| shape. Each of these will need to be made for a specific wheel width. It needs to be fairly snug.
    Screw the |_| into the wall, and then mark on the parrallel slats underneath where the back wheel should be. I've 4 bikes in this setup, and further 4 tied to the ceiling joists that don't get used at all.

Do you still have the floor/foundation for the old concrete shed?
    Do you think you could build another brick shed instead at a size to suit you?
    Wooden sheds never seem secure to me.
    I'll update this thread with a pic of my setup when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... Looking at something similar myself ...

Would that work, dimension wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

... Looking at something similar myself ...

Would that work, dimension wise?

Its only 1.60 width, that seems a bit small!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

That shackup tribike store would get me significant kudos with my SO. Though on reflection there is the trailer, lawnmower, 10 years worth of rusty saws etc etc still to deal with.
    The secure solution is a bit over the top for me and a bit unsightly. Will update if I come across anything else with potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pishogue

ChainReaction Cycles (on web) do canvas tent-like bike covers that drill into a side wall, for about €40,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I had the same issue a couple of months back and Lumen gave the same piece of advice as TinyExplosions...ie The Protect a cycle.

Now, you are thinking that 500 odd sterling is a bit steep but here's the clincher...

There is a guy called Tyg in Asford and he imports them direct from the UK and he delivers free...BUT....WAIT FOR IT...He will give you a ONE FOR ONE exchange rate..ie whatever the cost of your chosen shed in Sterling, he will charge you the same in Euro.

Here is his link...http://www.dyg.ie/

The shed is made by a company called Trimetals and comes highly recommended by most of the top cycle magazines and sites.

It is quite easy to assemble (2 of us and a couple of hours later, we were enjoying a cold bottle of suds, job done)

It holds our 3 bikes as well as a work stand and 4 storage boxes, so loads of room.

The top model comes with all the locks, padlocks, mounting bolts and cables to secure it to a concretes base and it seems fully waterproof to date also.

Give it a shot-I am very impressed with mine and Tyg's customer service was top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Lumen wrote: »

I have one of these. It's excellent, really happy with it. Easy to assembly, and reasonably secure. I built a strong concrete base with the idea of putting a ground anchor in to protect the valuable bikes.
    It fits 4 at a very tight squeeze, there is a bigger version where the lid lifts too.
    Handy enough for tools etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

souter wrote: »
    Will update if I come across anything else with potential.
    Ended up getting the shackup tri bike shed from B&Q two years ago. It looks good in a small area, but can't take anything more than 2 bikes, a few wheels and bits and bobs .
    Also, very poor quality - comes as a great bundle of untreated softwood. Allow a couple days to treat and paint it before assembly, a day to put it up and another day to paint it a couple more times.
    Even after all this it warps so you can't shut the doors in winter. Also had to fit a bath splash guard to it to stop a direct ingress of water from the top of the door.
    All in all, I'll be doing well to get a couple more winters from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭denisor

Mucco wrote: »
    I have one of these. It's excellent, really happy with it. Easy to assembly, and reasonably secure. I built a strong concrete base with the idea of putting a ground anchor in to protect the valuable bikes.
    It fits 4 at a very tight squeeze, there is a bigger version where the lid lifts too.
    Handy enough for tools etc too.

Mucco, I have been tryig to buy one of these from Asgarg, its £500 sterling plus £500 delivary, did you find one locally? can you tell me where, and or pm me the details?

Advertisement