Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to target suffers of.........

Options
  • 26-02-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have experience or advice in targeting people who suffer from certain conditions? I have various products for treatment and relief of symptoms of, for example :
    Eczema, Psoriasis, Arthritis, Sport injuries, Poor circulation, High blood pressure, Fatigue as well as general aches and pains.

Maybe there are groups for the suffers of certain conditions and i could market to them?

Any other ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've written plenty of scientific and marketing materials for the following of the conditions you listed:
    Eczema, Psoriasis and High blood pressure.

I also write on a lot of other areas. What exactly are you hoping to achieve? What is it you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

I am looking to market my products for relief of the symptoms of the above conditions to the relevant persons. I am having success but I am wondering if anyone knows if there are groups/meetings for people who suffer from these conditions to who I can mass market to. Thanks

There are patient groups for almost all conceivable diseases, what's the product? If it's some magnetic or copper bracelet, as I suspect it might be, then the people who help support the patient meetings (usually professional societies or charities) won't be impressed unless you have serious clinical evidence.

You will have to market yourself and the product to these people before you can market to the patients so make sure you have 'all your ducks in a row'.

I'm not going to pitch my products here but they are approved by:

British Union for the abolition of Vivisection
    The Vegan Society
    The Vegetarian Society (www.vegsoc.org)

Use only certified organically derived ingredients

In short it is the inclusion and exclusion of certain ingredients that make these products beneficial to people who suffer from certain conditions

enviro wrote: »
    I'm not going to pitch my products here but they are approved by:

British Union for the abolition of Vivisection
    The Vegan Society
    The Vegetarian Society (www.vegsoc.org)

Use only certified organically derived ingredients

In short it is the inclusion and exclusion of certain ingredients that make these products beneficial to people who suffer from certain conditions
    Well that sounds like a very positive marketing position to be in! Is there any medical or clinical evidence supporting these ingredients? That is the key to getting backing from these patient organisations and the key to better sales.

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well that sounds like a very positive marketing position to be in! Is there any medical or clinical evidence supporting these ingredients? That is the key to getting backing from these patient organisations and the key to better sales.

Well without going into great detail, I can give a few examples

Aluminum (which is used in deodorant) has been found in the breast tissue of woman who suffer from breast cancer (in some cases)

Petrochemicals which contain petrol , strips skin and is an irritant over time. (used in creams and

Parabins cause cancer , occur in tests of breast cancer patients, E212-e218

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate occurs in industrial products including engine degreasers, floor cleaners, and car wash soaps; as well as in household products such as toothpaste, shampoo, shaving foams, some dissolvable aspirins, fiber therapy caplets, and bubble baths
    Sodium lauryl sulfate is probably the most researched anionic surfactant compound and removes oils from the skin, and can cause skin and eye irritation. Also a study found no connection between SLS-free toothpaste and mouth ulcers

The above do not occur/not used in our products.

The absence of SLS is important for those suffering from dermatitis or psoriasis so that's good but it's all well and good saying what does NOT appear in your products but what are the active ingredients that DO occur in your products that benefit the patient?

In other words do you include ingredients such as TECA (titrated extract of Centella asiatica) or similar to help the skin? Do you include pharmaceutical grade, lanolin as a natural source of good lipids, do you have any vitamins or vitamin precursors (such as dexpanthenol) that have been shown to benefit patients?

I think your products sound very good (from what I've heard) but you need to show evidence that some of the ingredients provide a clinically proven benefit AS WELL AS saying 'oh and we've gotten rid of a lot of nasty stuff'.

Try the Irish Heart Foundation and Psoriasis Ireland for a start, google will give you the sites.

It is well known that removing chemicals and using natural ingredients are of benefit to preople, so I believe that covers benefits

I have already stated that harmful chemicals are not used in our products and I have named a few. So now I'll cover what ingredients are used in some of our range.

Blends of plant and vegetable based ingredients with pure unadultered organic essential oils.

Lemongrass essential oil, witch hazel and lichen extract.

Aloe vera.

Various vitamins and anti oxidants

Geranium, Lavender, Lemon, Orange, Cedarwood and Bergamot (all in our chemical free shampoos and conditioners.

A brief outline of what we do use is as follows:
    Vital oils, certified essential oils, purified water, aloe vera, multi vitamins, plant and sea extracts, sodium lauryl ethyl sulphate SLES derived from coconut (not to be confused with harmful SLS), cetyl alcohol (not to be confused with alcohol used in perfumes), animal friendly ingredients (our range is not tested on animals)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

Hi :-) What company produces / distributes these products Enviro?

Wizard007 wrote: »
    Hi :-) What company produces / distributes these products Enviro?

Thank you for your interest Wizard007, Full product brochure sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

enviro wrote: »
    Thank you for your interest Wizard007, Full product brochure sent.
    Hi Enviro - I have an interest in this area also, can you send product details
    tks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MGilly84

Have I stumbled upon a Medical forum??? Answer to the original question is through mass production and distribution of informative flyers to Chemists, GP waiting rooms, and Hospital. Then eventually instore product promotion and I would also say trade stands within Supermarkets would be benificial in raising awareness. Your main concern should be raising awareness among as many patients as possible within a pre-defined budget and then leave word of mouth take over. If your product is as effective as you say it is then your product will sell itself!

Ps
    To all the Medical Heads posting the sceptical comments, if you want to discuss medicine then do so elsewhere this is a Business forum and no place for medical ethics. The poster has a product and wasnt trying to push but was merely looking for marketing advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

MGilly84 wrote: »
    Have I stumbled upon a Medical forum??? Answer to the original question is through mass production and distribution of informative flyers to Chemists, GP waiting rooms, and Hospital. Then eventually instore product promotion and I would also say trade stands within Supermarkets would be benificial in raising awareness. Your main concern should be raising awareness among as many patients as possible within a pre-defined budget and then leave word of mouth take over. If your product is as effective as you say it is then your product will sell itself!

Ps
    To all the Medical Heads posting the sceptical comments, if you want to discuss medicine then do so elsewhere this is a Business forum and no place for medical ethics. The poster has a product and wasnt trying to push but was merely looking for marketing advice!!![/QUOTE]

(A) Have you any idea how many leaflets/brochures these people receive on a daily basis from every Jack & Jill under the sun? It may be part of an overall marketing mix, but trying to propose this as the main method of brand awareness is over simplistic .... the vast amount of leaflets will be binned in a heartbeat.

(B) No back seat modding. The information provided from OP helped the forum understand the product, and helps posters to provide advice.

Advertisement