Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to skateboarding

Options
  • 25-02-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    I'm 24 year old female and want to learn to skateboard. Not so much into learning tricks and things but want to use it as transport to work. Haven't much of a clue how to start though. Does anyone have any link to a website or tips that can help me learn without making a complete ass out of myself or loosing my board under a car when I jump off going too fast?!
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

this site here should have all the info u need, /http://skateboard.about.com/ there is a trick tip and general guide in there, hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Just learn to skate around your road before going out into a crowded street and don't get supper quike bearings straight out.
    Get a nice board, but don't go mad on the money.
    I say this because having a nice board will encorage you to progress quiker, but you can end up paying mental money for boards.
    Have a chat with the lads in G1 on O'Connell street if you're from around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sooty9

Sounds good. Thanks for the help. Hopefully it won't all be a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

my girlfriend has gotten into skateboarding (and by consequence gotten me back into it) she is loving it a lot. i hope you also have a good time with getting into skating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

II found that if you get a support either side of you, I used a hallway most of the time, you can easily practice ollies and flip tricks while holding yourself over the board, this way you can get the timing right when to land. Might seem a bit stupid but I learnt my kickflips by holding onto a railing at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

A skateboard wouldn't be too practical for getting to work at 9 in the morning, especially if you are just starting out. There are many reasons.

If you live a city the streets are too crowded and the angry morning people walking on them will at some stage get angry and start taking swings at you
    If you don't live in a city then the pavements are probably too crap to skate on.

But maybe you have a job where none of that is a problem. Then it would still be easier to get a bike or something. Skateboarding about the footpaths is certainly more fun though, but even with a heavy bag it becomes less enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

Hey Sooty,

I'm in almost the same position as you, I'm a 23 year old female who's just started skating, but on inline skates, not a board.

The biggest problem I'm having is feeling like a complete dork as I'm no good on them yet(!) But I'm trying to ignore that feeling, of course I'm no good, I've only just started.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Abstract Prude

if you just want to use the board for commuting then i think you'd be better off getting a cruiser longboard. these are much easier to ride and with some nice soft wheels won't throw you off every time you hit a crack in the pavement. if you decide to get one you'd be better off buying it from an american site rather than getting it from an irish shop, work out alot cheaper plus a better range to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Pfft, G1 have a half price sale going, way cheaper than you'll get it on line.
    Heavey stuff like that is expensive to post and anything over €100 will definitely get caught in customs and you'll have to pay extra.

Suport the irish industry AND get the board cheaper.
    A long board would work a lot better or what you need. They're really quiet too.

http://www.g1skatesupply.net/
    http://www.surf-one.com/products/completes.html

Advertisement