Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Mad???

Options
  • 25-02-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

HI All,

I am interested in getting into the teaching profession preferably secondary. I have a Joint Undergrad in Anthropology & Theology, and am currently completing a MA in Human Resource Management in DCU. In doing this MA I've discovered that I have absolutely no interest in the field of business and so have decided to on completion of this MA to go on and do another MA in History in UCD, followed by a PGD IN Ed. (I am also fluent in Irish) I figure that given the state of affairs in Ireland continuing education is a good option however my concern is that after reading other threads regarding teaching I am making the wrong choice. There seems to be so much competition out there for teaching positions so I'm wondering is there anything in addition to the MA / Pgd that would give me an advantage for seeking employment or is it really just pot luck?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ceacht

What subjects do you intend to teach? Religion?

You will only technically be qualified to teach a subject if it made up one third of your degree studies. I don't think an MA in history qualifies someone to actually become a history teacher unless they also have history in their degree. Irish would only be of benefit in an Irish speaking school really if you do not have a degree in it. You better check with the teaching council really.

Advertisement