Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice re. new bar marketing

Options
  • 25-02-2009 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Im looking for advice. I joined a new company in January for a marketing/advertising position for a new Bar. (I dont have much experience btw).

The Bar is brand new, however, the budget is zero (at the moment).

The boss is panicking that enough is not being done to advertise us but we are not paying for advertising either.

Can anyone help with any suggestions?

I have a website up and running and have gumtree.ie ads and Olx. etc, weve done a flyers drop and also I have signs up around the area.

Is there anything Im missing out on. Im a little lost at this stage.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

The problem with FREE advertising is that it isn't worth much. Interesting about gumtree. I've successfully advertised in gumtree UK for sales agents, but gumtree Ireland doesn't get much in the way of traffic.
    Try something controversial, (poledancing nuns) - just announce it, wait for the flak and then say sorry, cancelled.
    Give out vouchers. Free green beer on paddy's day. Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Go and set up a Facebook Event page for differant events at the bar. Perhaps some themed nights or set one up in advance of Paddys Weekend....this allows you to invite people on FB to your event and its free!!

Email/ring Student Unions and try to get them to hold events there.

Hold 'Swap Shops' there on sunday afternoons....yeah a couple of places are doing it but it's still relativly uncommon and will make you stand out....again advertise this with a FB page.

Hope that helps....If you give more details about the location/type of bar I might have more! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

Piaras Kelly suggested on his blog if your going to set up a facebook page, take pics and tag the customers in them. That'll bring the customers back to your page.

Start looking at your network of contacts, your bosses network. What groups of people can you attract to the bar for different occasions 21st's, football matches, social events.

If your holding themed events take loads of pics and videos. There's editing software (I cant recall for the life of me what it is, but its cheap and easy to use) that will edit these into a short video and set it whatever music you want (think something upbeat) and stick it on youtube. Put it on your Facebook page and promote it to your friends. I'll see if I can track down the name of that software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Thanks Mr. Luke, we have the facebook and Im going to start using it more to promote the bar.

@Conolan - you're so right, but slowly but surely its got to mean something.

Thanks for your input all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Have you considered running some kind of events in the pub.. for example a Race night or something along those lines.

Depending on your location have you considered trying to hook in with local tourism providers-eg if your in a touristy type area visitors want to experience a proper Irish pub so if you have music etc.. then bed and breakfasts, hotels etc should be happy to recommend you to their guests. Neither is a quick fix solution and the pub trade is experiencing very hard times but may be of use.

I'd also Google pubs/bars etc.. in your town, village, county and see whats sites are visible and try and get listed on them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement