Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Latitude D600 battery Won't Charge - Motherboard or Battery?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Just trying to see if any of the good fellows in here could help me out at all.

It's a D600 running XP, think about 5 years old.

Recently there was a problem with the DC power connection. Basically it wasn't charging the battery, the light on the charger was going out when I inserted the AC power into the laptop, and eventually it wouldn't turn on at all. I eventually got it fixed, turns out that the DC power connection was bolloxed and had to be replaced.

So now there is a new problem. The battery won't charge at all. The laptop runs fine on AC power though. When I go into the Bios it says that the battery's status is "charging". When I check in power management it says that the battery is charging but is at critical level, ie. under 3% (actually 0%!!) I take the battery out, leave it for a while, then reseat it and the charging light comes on on the laptop, at least for a while, then goes out. The battery light is constantly flashing/flickering too, making it look like it's power is being accessed, but of course it isn't.

Sooo. It looks like it could be one of two things:

1) It's the motherboard circuit that routes power from the AC connection to the battery, thus charging it, that is broken, or

2) It's the battery that is dead.

What do you reckon? Bearing in mind I don't have a second battery or laptop to test it.

Cheers,
    Karl.

EDIT: Also, theres no heat coming from the battery at all, nor is there any lights when I press the battery test button.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mike1187

Necro thread reply! :p

I have a similar laptop myself, also had the same problems (replaced the battery twice over the last 5 or so years and a dodgy power socket blew the motherboard recharge circuit recently (200 euros to buy a new motherboard, wouldnt have done it if i didnt like the laptop so much..and i rebuilt it myself :p /geek)

It seems the batteries in this series of dell laptops were made by Sony and were dodgy, short usage expectancy, high failure rate, one even blew up o.O etc etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/14/dell-recalls-4-1-million-batteries/

I bought another battery less than a year ago and its already fecked (the lights 1,3,5 on the battery blink, indicating so)

However if youre looking to troubleshoot yours, you can use my battery ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Please don't drag up old threads. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement