Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflashed a 3 Network E169G with Huawei default

Options
  • 25-02-2009 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

PLEASE NOTE: I take no responsibility for someone turning their USB modem into a lifeless plastic twig, I'm just describing a technical event I thought would not be possible.

I have a 3 Network 'Pay As You Go' 3G USB Modem. A Huawei E169G. This evening I found a link for Huawei's client software here:

http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/list.do?type=-1&id=4381

Curiosity got the better of me, I don't like 3's sluggish user interface, I decided to see could I flash the USB dongle with Huawei's 'clean' software.

I tried. It worked. The device is still sim-locked, but I now have more responsive software with great data usage feed-back, compared to the pap and tat the default 3 software provides.

I created a 'profile' and used the following:

Number: *99#

APN: 3ireland.ie

APN: Static

IP: Dynamic

---

Done, online.

Why does no one tell you these things? Also, I was surprised that the device behaved gracefully and allowed me to do this, I thought everything would be locked off. The USB Modem was purchased in June 2008.

Feels nippier online, but that could just be a placebo effect.. though the software itself is more stable. The user interface no longer looks like something put together with Windows 98 in mind.

Screen attached.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I have an O2 Huawei E170 and the software you showed in your screenshot is what is used by it. I had Three during 2007 on a trial basis but returned it before the 14day cooling off period as it had no reception where I live no GPRS just simply blank. Yes I agree the firmware used by Three is fairly cringe worthy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Amalgam wrote: »

That version of SW for the 169 has problems with MTU sizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

ArseBurger wrote: »
    That version of SW for the 169 has problems with MTU sizing.

Do both versions at the link suffer from this? How does it affect me in real world use?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Have you really changed the Modem internal firmware or just the Windows client software? BTW the "3" software is very likely by huawei too :)

Watty, I meant to use dc-******** (not sure if it is ok to mention this software, hence the blanks) to get general information from the unit, but did not. Yes, everything would be by Huawei, just the software skinned by the 3 Network.

dc-******** currently spits out:

---

Model : Huawei E169/E169G
    IMEI : -
    Firmware : 11.314.10.51.156
    Dashboard version : UTPS11.030.01.04.03
    Serial NR. : -
    SIM Lock status : Locked (Card Lock)
    Wrong codes entered : 0 (unlock attempts left : 10)

---

I'm not sure if the firmware stated above would be at odds with what I used yesterday.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Have you really changed the Modem internal firmware or just the Windows client software?
    Both are intrinsically linked. When you upgrade your firmare the connect software load on the stick is also upgraded and the process will reinstall the connect SW on your PC too.
    BTW the "3" software is very likely by huawei too :)

It is. They brand for operators.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Do both versions at the link suffer from this? How does it affect me in real world use?

AFAIK the second link only includes a version for Mac - it's the same firmware.

Buggered MTU can kill your 'speed' - it depends on how the SGSN's are configured on 3's network.

Just to add, I forgot to mention this last night. I could never send any SMS or work that part of the interface with the dongle before. Now I can send SMS, they arrive instantly. I didn't need to edit any settings for that, again, surprised by that outcome.

Advertisement