Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleeving a light switch cable?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am putting an (outdoor) light switch outside and I was wondering if it is okay to use normal NYM cable and sleeve the blue conductor with brown sleeving to make it into a twin brown cable.

I can't use conduit on this run as it is too awkward so I can't really see any other way of doing this.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You should get a run of 4 core NYM if you want to do this in the way you describe. The blue and green yellow should be reserved for neutral and earth respectively in case someone taps into the cable! You should also connect the earth wire to the connection in the box as a safety precaution in case of water ingress.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

use the cable you have and sleeve the blue. There is no excuse for someone else coming along and "tapping"into the wrong cable. They should satisfy themselves with what is available first.

Advertisement