Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu ISO

Options
  • 24-02-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

I have installed and tweaked an Ubuntu image that I now need to get a bootable ISO image of, any ideas how or what I can use to make this easy (bear in mind that I am a windows man and Linux Illiterate)?

21/25

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Be very difficult since the ubuntu live cd is compressed

a better approach might be to create a ubuntu startup disk on a 1GB USB , you would probably have to burn the result to DVD since it would be bigger than 700MB

or have a look the Knoppix forums on custimizing too

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

I'm hazey but what about remastersys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

helios12 wrote: »
    I'm hazey but what about remastersys?

Google agrees:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-custom-ubuntu-live-cd-with-remastersys.html

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Nice, though be warned it seems to be very hit and miss with success rate judging from testimonials at the Ubuntuforums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cheers, I'll try this over the week-end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

This works very very well.

I compiled a state of install I was happy with on an: Acer Aspire WLMi 5001

I had the image running on an: HP Pavilion dv9910us and a desktop Barton 2500

I went with the following: sudo remastersys backup

Just over an hour between the burning and trying. Just to note, there's an extra options menu (Casper?) at the start now, giving you options to boot live and various utilities, this is a text only menu, this then goes into the Ubuntu classic menu, followed by.. the User prompt log in window, which I was not expecting.

As a user, 'mistersnrub', everything was as it was on the compile machine. Including all the contents of the Home folder. The HP laptop had 3GB of memory, the amount of space left in the Home folder seems to suggest it uses memory. I had 1.4GB left.

The only downside was a low resolution on the HP laptop, which used an nVidia card, I was given only 800x600 as a choice. But the screen looked fine otherwise.

I had the options of higher resolutions on the Barton and Acer.

---

Remember to use the 'clean' command on the compile machine, *after* burning your .iso.

sudo remastersys clean

---

Plenty of possibilities with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Yep, I tried remastersys and combined with Unetbootin it works very nicely indeed.:)

Advertisement