Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plywood paiting/finishing

Options
  • 24-02-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi guys,
    i been doing some DIY and i have done some work for my multimedia room now i at finishing stage but need advice how to achieve desired finishing,
    nearly final picture and my desired finishing is here as well.
    can some one please suggest coz i don't have any idea of what paint or undercoat should i be using for this.
    thank
    flatpack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi flatpack,your unit looks good.I've only painted a ply project once.I used a ronseal floor dye! mainly cos I had it left over from colouring floorboards.... It worked well.I finished it off with a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish.using a dye like I did gives you an option of making the finish nice and dark like the one yout trying to match.

Best bet is to have a play on a scrap piece first

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

nice unit flatpack, i'm afraid I don't have anything useful to add about the finishing. Just wanted to let you know i like the look and design of what you have built so far and will also be interested in the suggestions for the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flatpack

thanks guys,
    i ask this question on other forum and i have answer to my question and i m gonna paint it over this weekend and let you know and post some pictures as well for you. but in mean time if you want to input please feel free.
    here is steps:
    1. Sand whole unit with fine sand paper to smooth off.
    2. use wood dye (not sure these are water based or polyurethane or how this look like).
    3. first cote of think varnish.
    4. sand it.
    5. second coat of varnish.
    6. sand it.
    7. most likely final coat if not then another coat after this and sand with fine sand paper between coat.

Advertisement