Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing would update, couldn't download anti-malware...

Options
  • 24-02-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

My windows updates sent me to Google English.
    My Malwarebytes wouldn't update.
    Couldn't download Superantispyware.
    Couldn't go to anti-virus websites.

Avast found one virus. Malwarebytes found another one. Something else found another one. Samples: iamfamous.dll, gaopdxserv.sys, Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}, others i can't remember.

I did TrendMicro Housecall (don't know why i could get to that one) and it found another one (Mal_Otorun1).

Still couldn't get Windows updates, etc. I was seriously ready to do a KillDisk/re-format.

Found this post on techarena forum, post #3 by "prabhusv" posted 3 weeks ago.

I and did what he said ... mostly... I went by memory to get to the simplysup.com site and downloaded "Trojan Remover", so didn't run microsoft online malware removal tool from
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/... in parallel - I wouldn't have had access to it.

Things now seem normal, but I am going to keep checking like a crazy person for a while, now that my anti-bad-things are updated.

Another aspect:
    I don't know if it happened before all this, but I could not get to system restore during all this. Have not checked yet if I can now. Have NO idea what my "Administrator" password is...???? I am the one and only owner of this computer and never knew that a separate Administrator account was set up at the beginning. How in the world do i find out what password i was using then? Did it tell me it was doing that in the beginning and give me the option for a reminder question?? It is my understanding that the system restore tab appears only when logged in as Administrator (not just with admin privileges)... ????

I hope the info above is of any assistance to anyone else infected with this/these virus/es. yikes. :eek:

Advertisement