Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Raid Offices in Anglo

Options
  • 24-02-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this article in the Irish Times today? http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0224/breaking39.htm

I'm curious as the what type of background the guards in the fraud bureau have? The reason I raise this is because it just makes you wonder how effective it would be to have the fraud bureau raid the Anglo offices if they don't know exactly what to look for? Would it not make more sense to send in forensic accountants or bankers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

TBH I think its good that something is just being done, you never know, sthey could stumble across something big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Census_Pro wrote: »
    Anyone see this article in the Irish Times today? http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0224/breaking39.htm

I'm curious as the what type of background the guards in the fraud bureau have?

Fraud Squad have extensive experience in this type of thing and have FI certified personnel as well as having access to forensic accountants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Also to send in bankers to investigate bankers would not come across as a fair and thorough investigation. Same thing that was done for years within AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

I see your point but I dont agree. Put I this way, would you send a banker in to investigate a murder scene on the basis that they have access to a detective? Or would you hire a plumber to do electrics in your house? The point I'm making is that you use the right people for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Would it not make more sense to send in forensic accountants or bankers?
    Hey, we know what we're looking for!
    piggybank.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I see your point but I dont agree. Put I this way, would you send a banker in to investigate a murder scene on the basis that they have access to a detective? Or would you hire a plumber to do electrics in your house? The point I'm making is that you use the right people for the job.

But you see the HQ of Anglo Irish Bank can be considered a crime scene and there is a criminal inviestigation ongoing. Fraud Bureau are trained experts in following the money in the same way bankers are but FB are also trained experts in criminal law which bankers are not. FB are well versed in the necessary proofs to ensure a conviction in court.

Believe us FB is quite proficient in these investigations so if a criminal act has occured someone will no doubt be prosecuted for it. It may also be worthy to mention that retired Gardai from FB are highly sought after within the banking industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

There's more than a few qualified accountants in the fraud squad, people seem to forget that many Gardaí had other jobs before joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

TheNog wrote: »
    It may also be worthy to mention that retired Gardai from FB are highly sought after within the banking industry

Kind of like gamekeeper turned poacher, eh?!

Any of them in Anglo Oirish I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

TheNog wrote: »
    But you see the HQ of Anglo Irish Bank can be considered a crime scene and there is a criminal inviestigation ongoing. Fraud Bureau are trained experts in following the money in the same way bankers are but FB are also trained experts in criminal law which bankers are not. FB are well versed in the necessary proofs to ensure a conviction in court.

Believe us FB is quite proficient in these investigations so if a criminal act has occured someone will no doubt be prosecuted for it. It may also be worthy to mention that retired Gardai from FB are highly sought after within the banking industry

Does anyone have a link to a reference made by Peter Kelly (I think) expressing his frustration at the length of time the investigation was taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

cushtac wrote: »
    There's more than a few qualified accountants in the fraud squad, people seem to forget that many Gardaí had other jobs before joining.

A little bit late to be adding this comment, but as of 12/01/11, there were 2 civilain accountants. I've no idea how many of the Gardai are qualified accountants, as this info does not seem to have been released.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-01-12.2438.0&s=garda+accountant#g2440.0.r

Alan Shatter (Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    Question 612: To ask the Minister for Justice and Law Reform the number of qualified accountants who are members of the Garda fraud squad or who have been employed to work with the Garda fraud squad; the qualifications and ages of the individuals concerned; the date when recruited and if on secondment from any accountancy firms; the names of the firms, the number of such individuals and the individual arrangements entered into in relation to the work in which they are engaged. [1597/11]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail)
    I am informed by the Garda authorities that there are two Civilian Forensic Accountants employed full time by the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation (GBFI) which replaced the Garda Fraud Squad in 1996. No accountants are employed on secondment in GBFI from any accountancy firms.
    While it is not the practice to release personal details of individuals, I am informed that both accountants are fully qualified and have significant experience through their work carried out in the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement