Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behavioural Economics/Finance

Options
  • 23-02-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good popular book on this subject? I am interested in the area - the only thing out there seems to be Nassim Talebs books but i heard his writing style is very annoying:pac:

Comments

Taleb is ok, I liked the book.

Pete Lunn (from the ESRI) has one out but it is aimed at the total lay man (I found the style in that a lot more annoying then Taleb)

Dan Ariely - Predictably Irrational is very good, as of course, are the two books by Shiller: Irrational Exhuberance and The Subprime Solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thebang

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

thebang wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a good popular book on this subject? I am interested in the area - the only thing out there seems to be Nassim Talebs books but i heard his writing style is very annoying:pac:

Hot off the press and highly recommended: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8967.html

Also check out the reading list on this bad boy: http://www.ucd.ie/economics/staff/ldelaney/behavioral.pdf

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    Hot off the press and highly recommended: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8967.html

Also check out the reading list on this bad boy: http://www.ucd.ie/economics/staff/ldelaney/behavioral.pdf

I didn't know that animal spirits was out yet, must get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Did Camerer ever do a laymans book?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thebang

funny i watched a lecture by him on youtube at the weekend but I forgot his name. It was good but too long by half for what he said
    I will definitely add these to my list.
    There is an interview with him on www.charlierose.com (great site and show by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dan Ariely - Predictably Irrational is very good

Really? I didn't enjoy it at all and found it lacking on substance. I wasn't in very good form when I read it though, so I might have been too critical. ;)

Did Camerer ever do a laymans book?

Camerer's book that I listed in the Resources thread should be readable to a layman with some aptitude for the subject. He keeps the mathematics to the footnotes for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

thebang wrote: »
    NNT isn't a behaviouralist.
    nesf wrote: »
    Really? I didn't enjoy it at all and found it lacking on substance. I wasn't in very good form when I read it though, so I might have been too critical. ;)
    Agreed. Ariely's book is a bit crap. I prefered Dan Gilbert's, which wasn't amazing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Robert Shiller is the man you want to search for.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Nudge (Thaler and Sunstein)
    Thinking Fast and Slow (Kahneman)
    Predictably Irrational (Ariely)

All top quality and interesting reading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

As an alternative to reading books that often take 2 or more years from draft to publication, you may want to also consider scholarly journals that tend to be a bit more current (e.g., Journal of Behavioral Economics).

Advertisement