Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

안녕하세요

Options
  • 23-02-2009 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Starting a Korean language course in 서울 in 삼왈. I'm wondering, should I also try and learn 한자 or will I get along ok with just 한글 ?

Bit nervous tbh, my class is all 중국 사람 이랑 일본 사람 so I'm the only 외국인.

Any advice on starting out ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

You should concentrate on getting to grips with standard korean before worrying too much about Chinese characters. You will pick them up as you go along though^^
    And if the class is in Seoul then Chinese and Japanese people will be foreigners or 'waygookin' also! It should be to your advantage as it will force you to speak in Korean to each other hopefully. How long are going for? Where are you going to study? I'm sure you'll have a great time^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 taekeon.park

As a Korean I think you don't need to worry about "Han-Ja". Even Korean people, especially young Korean, don't know how to read it.

I highly recommand "Shin-Chon" and "Hong-Ik Univ" area on the 2nd subway line to socialize yourself as a foreigner in Korea.

As a Korean I think you don't need to worry about "Han-Ja". Even Korean people, especially young Korean, don't know how to read it.

I highly recommand "Shin-Chon" and "Hong-Ik Univ" area on the 2nd subway line to socialize yourself as a foreigner in Korea.

Yeah those are good areas to go out. I used to live in in "Shin-Cheon" in Seoul, beside Jamsil and my foreign friends always confused it with the one beside hongdae:D so be careful finding it^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 taekeon.park

ShinChon and ShinCheon....
    I've heard the same complain from my japanese friends.
    Even though those are completely different places the similar sound makes them(foreign people) confused.

Actually I've known a tip heard from the Japanese. When they use the subway they memorise the number of a station. In Seoul each station has a specific number and it is easily recognised. However Korean people usually don't notice the number so there is no point in asking about the number to Korean.

ShinChon and ShinCheon....
    I've heard the same complain from my japanese friends.
    Even though those are completely different places the similar sound makes them(foreign people) confused.

Actually I've known a tip heard from the Japanese. When they use the subway they memorise the number of a station. In Seoul each station has a specific number and it is easily recognised. However Korean people usually don't notice the number so there is no point on asking about the number to Korean.

Once you get used to Korean pronunciation it's easy enough to tell the difference. It's all about the different vowel sounds. I miss Sinchon -used to have great fun there^^^

• Advertisement
Advertisement