Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheer Up Everyone

Options
  • 23-02-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭

Thing's aren't so bad. Reading after hours is becoming depressing. You'd think it was the collapse of western civilization reading this forum.

Fact of the matter is, recessions happen, and they're tough, but things always recover. Talk to anyone over 50. They've seen it all before.

And are we really so bad off? Lets get some perspective. I'd say 80% of the worlds population would gladly switch places with most of us. Try living in a country where you can't even get a drink of clean water. What would they think, if they read some of the stuff on here?

So, look on the bright side. Irish people have been far worse off, for hundreds of years, and we still managed not to lose our sense of fun.

Sincerly yours,
    Blisterman
    Unemployed, but still enjoying life.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Cheer up?? Cheer up?!!!

Now I cant afford my 3 holidays away, my 5 bedroom house and my 4x4 that I use for runs to the shops where I buy all my posh over priced nosh.
    I cant afford all the latest trends and getting my hair done every second week, and you dont think its as bad as those starving babies in africa????

Actually the whole recession thing scares the pants off me. Its worrying to think I wont be able to get another job for god knows when. Im looking for a job before my current contract runs out and Im not having much luck, and now theres talk of cutting the dole..:(

*cries*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I was expecting Eric Idle to pipe up at any moment....."saaaaaaaaaaaaarmmmmm fings in life are saaaaddd....."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Blisterman wrote: »

So, look on the bright side. Irish people have been far worse off, for hundreds of years, and we still managed not to lose our sense of fun.

Yea but every other generation had Happy Hour....our sense of fun is with O'Leary in the Grave...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

You are right! There have been some seriously depressing posts on here lately. My theory is a lot of the posters on here are in their 20's and have never known a recession.
    Anyone old enough to remember the 80's or even 1950's Ireland will be saying "Bring it on! I'll get through a recession standing on me head":D
    From what I've seen the 80's were a lot worse than this but things will get better just like they did then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

spot on, OP.

Sure, we can all go & work for that Aussie food chain I keep reading about here...

Day Tucker jobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

im in my 20s but i do believe it will get better, it has to.

Im cheery enough!

Well i will be as long as i get accepted to an M.A for this coming September.... if i dont get in...well.... i guess il figure something out!

Unlike alot of other folk on here i only have meself to look after, and for that i am very grateful!

Happy Monday Everyone!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i say this in every thread about the recession. the main reason its going last longer than it needs to is because those of you who are working are the problem, not spending every penny - you sicken me. "Oh i have to save money" - selfish ****s - nothing more. im working away and like i have been the last 5 years i am still -1500 in my bank, everything i get paid i spend - i actually drive the economy. People saving money causes more jobs lost which means those people can spend less money and it goes on and on - if you dont see that your just plain stupid.

Anyway back on topic. Cheer up? How can i chear up when i go to obriens for lunch and i see a article in the times that whats her name (mary harney i think it was i could give 2 ****s what goverment offical it was) but € 190,000 of tax payers money was spent on this K*NT traveling around the U.S followering the super bowl? - There wont even be a trial either - i alone in thinking a goverment that permits stuff like that should not be allowed to remain in power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Kevin Myers actually wrote an article on the very same thing.

He said yes now is the time to paint your kitchen, go for coffee down at your favourite little coffee shop, buy flowers etc.

If your not spending jobs WILL be lost. These small businesses and otherwise need you to keep spending for the livelihood of their business and staff. All this scaremongering going on is not helping anyone.

Granted if you know you are about to be let go then obviously im not advocating frivilous unnecessary spending but for example I wouldnt stop having my favourite curry down the market each saturday! Its the small things i guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Indeed it is time to cheer up.
    Those parasites in power will soon be gone (a good lot of them anyway) and we can start all over again.
    They need to be told that we will no longer stand for their costly junkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sure I'm having the time of my life at the moment.

It's great not owning property, a car or having any dependents relying on me.

Sure if I **** up what can they take from me? Nuthin' that's what!

And I don't owe nothing to nobody!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Blisterman wrote: »
    Try living in a country where you can't even get a drink of clean water.

Galway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

User45701 wrote: »
    How can i chear up when i go to obriens for lunch

Stop going to O'Brien's for lunch. You'll cheer up when you get a decent sandwich for a change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

grahamo wrote: »
    You are right! There have been some seriously depressing posts on here lately. My theory is a lot of the posters on here are in their 20's and have never known a recession.
    Anyone old enough to remember the 80's or even 1950's Ireland will be saying "Bring it on! I'll get through a recession standing on me head":D
    From what I've seen the 80's were a lot worse than this but things will get better just like they did then.

What makes you think those that have seen a recession before will gladly and happily want to even consider another one? If that was the case why were they also marching up in Dublin on Saturday. This recession hasn't even peaked yet and will more than likely be worse than any we've seen before. It is getting really irritating though, it's on the radio, tv, pple are talkin about it all the time plus my h2b is constantly talking about it which scare's the sh*t out of me cos i just got let go in the company cut backs and only have two wks of work left :( plus i'm getting married this year so stop talking about it if you read this cos i'll end up talking to the samaritans soon! Otherwise we should "always look on the bright side of life" it could be worse! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

You're all kidding yourselves. This is the end, people. It's time to stock up on canned food, bottled water, bow and arrows, and hunting knives that can be seen from space.

It is also paramount that you install a nitro-injection mechanism into your car. Not only will this give you a fighting chance of outrunning the cannibalistic horde in your rear-view mirror, but it will also allow you to catch up to weaker members of the fallen society, who you in turn plan on cannibalising.

I suggest you and yours fashion aggressive Mohawk haircuts to intimidate those who would usurp your petroleum. You might also want to construct a giant cage, in which disputes among your clan will be resolved in episodes of extreme violence.

Or, maybe I'm wrong, the banks will right themselves, jobs will return, and everything will be Rosey. Better safe than sorry though, in my opinion.

I'm in a fantastic mood. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

People have been living outside their means for years.Just because we are forced to cut back dosent mean we are a third world country!

Anyway,I was poor before the recession and I am poor now,no odds to me!Just means not being able to hit the beer as much.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Terry wrote: »
    Indeed it is time to cheer up.
    Those parasites in power will soon be gone (a good lot of them anyway) and we can start all over again.

We'll still have to pay their huge pensions for years to come though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭punky

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. The vast majority of us don't know how good we have it. I don't mean to patronise anyone that is genuinely struggling, but the majority of people in this world earn less in a day than most of you spend on your lunch time tea/coffee. I think some perspective is needed.

Spring is on the way, there's food in the fridge and a roof over your head. Knuckle down, work hard and we'll get through this. So please, please stop moaning.

Smile, folks, smile. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

Sage'sMama wrote: »
    What makes you think those that have seen a recession before will gladly and happily want to even consider another one? If that was the case why were they also marching up in Dublin on Saturday.

The march was because of the Governments hamfisted way of dealing with the problem. We know we'll clear this but let's do it properly and stimulate the economy as we did before rather that drive us into the dirt. And let's do it with a degree of fairness.

This too will pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I disagree. At this juncture, it seems pretty clear that nothing is going to be ok, ever again. What's important now is that we settle in, and wait for death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Galway ?

I knew the second I wrote that, that someone would mention Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Stop going to O'Brien's for lunch. You'll cheer up when you get a decent sandwich for a change!

My obriens is closing down - not enough business - well actually they are trying to sell it....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

beertons wrote: »
    We'll still have to pay their huge pensions for years to come though.

Don't they still have to be alive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

dublinario wrote: »
    I disagree. At this juncture, it seems pretty clear that nothing is going to be ok, ever again. What's important now is that we settle in, and wait for death.
    LOL .As long as death doesn't come sooner than planned .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

We just need to build a robot to run the country, replacing all TD's and An Taoiseach, with an infallible robot logic. You layabout students, get cracking on that will ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

On the plus side, tomorrow being pancake tuesday uplifted my spirits momentarily, but then the thread got locked and I sank back down again... sob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Sure I'm having the time of my life at the moment.

It's great not owning property, a car or having any dependents relying on me.

Sure if I **** up what can they take from me? Nuthin' that's what!

And I don't owe nothing to nobody!

o_O

You live with yo Mommy and Daddy?

They drive you to yo fwends house?

You iz firing blanks?

You is on dee dole?

Bahahahawah.

Tell ya wha. I'll go pick ya up, bring ya back to mine, sex you then lend ya a €20 for a cab home in teh mornin' k? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Have to say in the last week or so i have decided to be more positive my life could be a whole lot worse. I may not have a job at the moment but I have my health, a roof over my head, food in my belly and a family that loves me plenty of people - even in this country - don't have what i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Worry is a waste of the imagination.:)
    Smile. be happy.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement