Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get something like this?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A34NLXJLC88VVS

The One Laptop Per Child thing used to be buy one donate one which I was interested in cause as far as I can tell this machine suits my needs pretty well (and the price is attractive). But now it seems I can only donate not get one too? I'm looking for a laptop to survive a trip from Seoul to Ireland. I'll be travelling by motorcycle and using the laptop to connect to the web, upload photos, stay in touch, skype, etc.

So, what I'll need:

Light weight;
    Vast battery life;
    Robust as possible (in a perfect world, water, shock and dust proof. In this world, as near as possible) Vibration may also be a factor on the bike I don't know. It will be powered off while on the move if that makes a difference;
    Excellent WiFi reception;
    Camera, microphone and speakers for Skype;
    USB ports;
    Bluetooth 2.0;
    The smaller the better (I'll be on a bike so every extra milimeter and every extra gram needs to be necessary. I have a total luggage weight target of about 15 kilos, this will allow further 25-35kilo weight for extra fuel, bike spares, drinking water, food, tent etc.);
    Card reader for camera would be handy but is not essential;
    I would prefer if it could work at altitude in potentially very cold and very hot weather;

What I won't need:
    Gaming;
    Vast storage (though I'm not against it if it won't compromise what I will need. If I really need storage I can use memory sticks or an external HDD.);
    Windows (though I'm not that tech savvy I can manage without. My home machine is a Mac running MacOsX);
    Large Screen;

There... Not asking for much am I? Ha ha! So far in my research the Samsung NC10 is looking good and the fact that I was eating dinner last night overlooking the impressive and gigantic Samsung industrial complex in Suwon makes the NC10 an attractive looking choice too. But I also like the look of one of the Acer models (http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1593509#spec). Thanks for taking the time to read this far and I hope there's something out there to do the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Anyone? This chioce has to be an entertaining enough challenge for someone? Is my research really so good that I have managed to pick the best machine without any expertise? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

The eee (from Acer) will do all that. It's a solid state machine, so there's nothing other than the screen to break from rough treatment. I went travelling with one and kept it in a ziplock sandwich bag to protect it from rain/dust when not in use.

Friends of mine biked from London to Turkey with one on my suggestion and were happy with it - again space and weight were at a premium for them.

It meets pretty much all your requirements except the bluetooth as standard, though there's a forum (something like eeeuser iirc) where I'd seen people had managed to hack in bluetooth - but I think that involved a soldering iron :)

The eee takes SD cards - I have an 8Gig SDHC in mine, which is fine. I installed Gimp as well (free photo editing software, a bit like Photoshop).

If you go for the 7inch model (http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB995459&productID=S5985677) you'd save an extra bit of weight and size too.

Advertisement