Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stoves & trees

Options
  • 23-02-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

whats the main difference between multi-fuel stove and a wood pellet stove. Can you burn wood pellets in a multi-fuel.
    If so why choose a pellet stove. Is it because of the automated/timer side of it?

Also (if feasible) what would be the best tree to grow if you want to have your own fuel supply?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 Energysaver

betonit wrote: »
    whats the main difference between multi-fuel stove and a wood pellet stove. Can you burn wood pellets in a multi-fuel.
    If so why choose a pellet stove. Is it because of the automated/timer side of it?

Also (if feasible) what would be the best tree to grow if you want to have your own fuel supply?

I'm not an expert but I have a wood pellet boiler and have seen many wood pellet stoves. Wood pellet stoves are specially designed to burn wood pellets. They automatically feed them from a storage hopper a few pellets at a time into the burning pot (probably not the correct technical term). Therefore you can't burn them in a conventional multi-fuel stove as you would have to keep adding pellets in small quantities. If you shoveled in a large load I expect that they would burn very quickly.

You can't realistically make your own wood pellets so there's no point in growing your own timber, unless you want to use a wood chip boiler. I don't know if you can get wood chip stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

Thanks ES.. Im talking about a standalone stove in a kitchen. And growing own trees for logs for that stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rsheehan

Hi Betonit
    If you want to grow Trees for your stove get planting now, as it will be 10 years before you start to get usable wood, if its logs you are after.

Ash is quite fast growing and is very easy to split with an axe.
    Willow is about the fastest growing tree in Ireland but you wont get large logs from it, it is better for chipping.

It is important that your wood is properly seasoned before you burn it. If it is damp it gives off a lot of tar and sut that will block a chimney or flue in no time and might lead to a chimney fire.

Wood should be left to dry/season out side under cover for a year at least to reduce the moisture content.

You could look in to buying forestry logs direct from a logging contractor as this may be a cheap source of fire wood. Its some thing i have thought about but not looked in to.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 Energysaver

rsheehan wrote: »
    Hi Betonit
    Ash is quite fast growing and is very easy to split with an axe.
    Willow is about the fastest growing tree in Ireland but you wont get large logs from it, it is better for chipping.

I've got a couple of dead looking trees in my garden (douglas fir and pine) - how do they rate as fuel in a wood stove? I might replant so will it take 10 years for the new crop to be ready for fuel? What about sycamore? I have two dozen 1 year old seedlings that the kids planted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rsheehan

Hi Energysaver

Douglas Fir and other pines need to be burnt in a stove or open fire with a door as they spark a lot, in an open fire its a pane when a spark fly's out of the fire and lands on the dog while its asleep.:eek:

They will burn very well but wont give off the same heat as hard woods.
    sycamore grows quick and is easy to germinate, it burns well to. I cant remember what its like to chop, il have to ask my father and il get back to you on that one.

If you plant trees for fire wood you should consider coppicing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppice them as you will continue to get wood for the fire after your first cutting, especial if space is limited.

What ever you do don't buy bags of fire wood as they are a ripoff, buy in bulk if you can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement