Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tits and finches of Ireland

Options
  • 23-02-2009 12:08am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a few photos from the weekend.

3301847454_536f886cf4.jpg

3301841746_103993e3a8.jpg

3301012625_c24e6692b7.jpg

3301020579_d165e429b5.jpg

3301870292_6fef3e2277.jpg

3301865428_b857fcb30b.jpg

Fun taking photos of these little guys.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I can understand you using a watermark for your sports pictures but not for these, they take away also because they distract and go through the birds bodies.
    Having said that pics 4, 5 and 6 are my favourites. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Are they severely cropped Paul? They look quite "soft". Not as sharp as your usual work anyway?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Not that cropped really. Certainly not at 100% of image.

Probably a bit soft due to hand holding the 300mm lens, so even with a fast-ish shutter speed, there was a little shake. :(

It was fun and interesting, and something I'll try again, but next time I'll have the monopod or tripod. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

4 is the only real sharp-ish looking one... Best of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Good shot really like the one with the greenfinch and the bluetit. Anyway do you have a remote release? If you do make your self a perch near the table/feeder and sit your camera on a tripod and snap away. This is what you can come up with after 150 not so good shots

DSC06478k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

#4 is my favourite.

I had a go at this myself last Summer. As landyman said, your best bet is to rig up some form of remote release. I picked up an Infared remote on eBay for the camera I had at the time (Pentax Optio 555). So for this shot I setup on a tripod aiming and setup on the handle of the spade - which was setup next to a bird feeder. I was looking out the corner of the garden-shed window right next to it to trigger the shot! I think the bird feeder in your shots distracts from the birds a bit too much.

great_tit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

What do you call the bird in 2 and 6? I've never came across one of those boyos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Goldfinch in 2 & 6.

Love the mirror image effect in 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

A good idea is to not photograph the birds on the feeder itself. Make a perch out of some branches near the feeder and the birds will use this as an approach to the feeder. Shooting them here will look a lot more natural...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah lovely shots and difficult to get without patience. I agree that the one with the spade looks more natural.;) However would be happy with any of them myself.

• Advertisement

whyulittle wrote: »
    Goldfinch in 2 & 6.

Love the mirror image effect in 6.

It's actually not a mirror effect. It's two different birds, on either side of the feeder. It does look nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Nice Paul, it's addictive isn't it, one comment though, the background behind the peanut feeder is very distracting, I'd be trying to move it out into open space. Trying to catch them on a convenient perch coming in is the way many birders do it.

Just a thought, I'm wondering if the slight softness is because the lens is focused on the front of the feeder, and the birds are slightly out of the zone of focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I love the expression (do birds even have expressions??) on the bird in number 2, he looks like a right grumpy f**ker!
    As regards quality, I would echo previous posters regarding the softness and trying to keep the manmade objects out of the picture.

Having said all that, I was severely disappointed when I opened the post. I expected topless Irish ladies drinking mixers!

Plenty of advice and ideas of things for me to try next time. I must look in to getting some remote triggers for the camera.

The birds seemed to fly direct from the trees to the bird feeders, without stopping to perch.

But, next time I can try a few different things to try to position them better. :rolleyes:

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

At least you have a garden!
    From my balcony all I see is Pigeons and Seagulls!
    and while I can feed them and see the Seagulls hover, the background would kill the pictures, full of high buildings!

At least you have a garden!

Errr ... it wasn't my garden. It was down in Wicklow, visiting some in-laws.

I live in an apt, so no garden at all. Mind you, I do get some occasional tits visiting .... including the feathered kind. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Paulw wrote: »
    It's actually not a mirror effect. It's two different birds, on either side of the feeder. It does look nice though.

I know, that's why it's cool. ;)

Advertisement