Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smear test

Options
  • 22-02-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the whole Jade Goody thing has put the sh1ts through everyone but just wondering.....

I know smear tests are free for women aged 25 and over but just wondering can you get them if your 20? I heard some GP's wont smear women under the age of 25 is this true? Also does anybody know the average cost of one?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They are not free afaik if you are under 25

The cost is approx 80 at my gynaecologist in Newbridge if that helps.

Dunno about GP's refusing to do the test on women under 25 but imo if you are sexually active you should have one at least every three years.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

I'm sure the whole Jade Goody thing has put the sh1ts through everyone but just wondering.....

I know smear tests are free for women aged 25 and over but just wondering can you get them if your 20? I heard some GP's wont smear women under the age of 25 is this true? Also does anybody know the average cost of one?

Thanks in advance

55 euro in my GP, I was told by the nurse there that they don't reccomend doing them under 25 as they don't get accurate results and that 25 is a good age to start. you'd be best talking to your own GP about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I had my first one at 24 - I think any responsible doctor shouldn't refuse to do a well-woman test - that includes them checking your breasts aswell.........as with all things, if you're paying, they're doing...........amazing that smear tests results are back now within 4 weeks, I had a test done about 2 years ago and waited 9 months for the results........:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My doctor insists that you should get them done once you're sexually active.

I had my first one before I'd even had sex, way back when I was a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah was with waiting months for result!

I would like to say, as someone who's been through process: if you have an abnormal result its usually absolutely fine. Most abnormal results sort themselves out within 2 yrs. And if not its still ok. Its hard to get into the system in ireland but once 'in' they test very conscientously. I've had a very low level abnormality for the past five yrs that has never progessed to anything. Friends of mine have had high level abnormalities, had them treated and been fine. I think its great that this subject is in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I (a man) was also under the impression that you should have them done once you're sexually active.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Had my first one at 18 about 6 months after becoming sexually active. My GP charges €60 for the test, I'm in Dublin. She recommended to get them done when you become sexually active. In my case it was just as well, because at 20, I had a smear with borderline changes in the cells. It turned out that I was ok, but I've to get checked every year now to make sure there are no other changes. Give your local GP or wellwoman centre a call and make an appointment to get checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

im from north were they start them from 20. got my reminder letter recently from old gp went to my gp in dublin says no dont do them on under 25s but if u really want one we can do it and send it to a uk lab for 150euro cause the irish lab wont do it.

the inaccurate results is wrong cause i work in the lab field and i did smear tests as a placement in uni age doesnt make a difference to result

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i got my first one at 19. first was abnormal results, had 2 more come back fine. costs E70 at my local doc,they also do a chlymidia test. i think every woman should have them if they're sexually active, especially if they're on the pill(apparently this affects cells?) my cousin went for her first one at 20 and ended up needing to have pre cancerous cells removed.if she'd waited till she was 25 she may have left it too late. i kills me that some docs outright refuse smears to under 25s, as my mates on did.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

As soon as I turned 20, my doc said that it would be a good idea to go for one, considering I was on the pill for a while then and also to test for pre-cancerous cells. I still have to go, just a bit nervous about the whole experience. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I was due one four months ago as it had been two years and was turned away as I am under 25. I have had two done previously and were clear. It is two years until I turn 25 and feel that is a long time to wait for a test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

My GP does one for a normal consultation price, 55 euro, then you pay 25 by laser over the phone to a lab company in dublin, the test gets sent by the GP by courier. You get results back within a month at most, ask if your GP has this facility, plenty of private labs out there testing.

My GP also reccomends you get them once you become sexual active, or turn 21, whichever is first. It's really quick, and if anything is wrong, catching it in time will probably save your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I'm 23 and had my first one only a couple of weeks ago. Paid the standard €55 for the visit and results are due back within two months. My GP had been suggesting one to me for the past couple of years, so yeah, the 25 year age limit isn't followed by all.

Guys, what does a smear actually involve? I am now 25 and I want to book one, just nervous about whole process...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Guys, what does a smear actually involve? I am now 25 and I want to book one, just nervous about whole process...
    Your doctor will insert a speculum into your vagina, it's a small, smooth plastic item that just spreads you a little, then they use a special brush to brush cells from your cervix, then they place the cells in liquid to be sent away to be tested. Done! Really easy, and very quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

It doesn't hurt or anything, a little discomfort maybe. I was a little unsure before I had my first one but I'm pleased to say, it wasn't as unpleasant as I had thought it would.

Just do it - a little discomfort can save your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

Just a quick note on smear tests. Whatever age you are when you get your first test done you must get your second test done a year later, not three years later.

The reason for this is because your first test establishes a "base line", if you like, of your cervical cells. Then you get your second test done 12 months later, if there's any difference between this test and the previous test then that means there's been a change in the cells and they will do a further investigation.

A smear test does not detect or diagnose cancer, it detects changes in the cells of your cervix. This is why it is so important to get them done regularly.

IMO every 3 years is too long to wait after your initial first and second test. This is why I will pay for a test every year rather than put it off. That's just my personal feelings on the matter though and may not be for everyone.

Yes it is uncomfortable getting it done, but I'd rather experience a few minutes discomfort than the alternative.

i am in ireland and i am only 17 but i need to get a smear test . will i need parental consent and how much will it cost??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

i am in ireland and i am only 17 but i need to get a smear test . will i need parental consent and how much will it cost??

if you go into the well woman centre they might do one for you. you wont need parental consent though.
    http://www.wellwomancentre.ie/index.html
    they do a student discount as well if you have a card.
    just make sure you let them know how long you've been sexually active for and that you've a genuine need for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

dsg wrote: »
    Just a quick note on smear tests. Whatever age you are when you get your first test done you must get your second test done a year later, not three years later.

The reason for this is because your first test establishes a "base line", if you like, of your cervical cells. Then you get your second test done 12 months later, if there's any difference between this test and the previous test then that means there's been a change in the cells and they will do a further investigation.

A smear test does not detect or diagnose cancer, it detects changes in the cells of your cervix. This is why it is so important to get them done regularly.

IMO every 3 years is too long to wait after your initial first and second test. This is why I will pay for a test every year rather than put it off. That's just my personal feelings on the matter though and may not be for everyone.

Yes it is uncomfortable getting it done, but I'd rather experience a few minutes discomfort than the alternative.

Is that how it works? The first time I had a smear it came back unreliable for assessment so I went for a colposcopy and the Dr said he could see with the camera thing that the cells were slightly abnormal. This was the case the next few times as well. I was wondering if it was possible that my cells were just like this naturally or something caused by the Pill (when I came off it for 6 months, the 'abnormalities' improved dramatically).

• Advertisement

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Is that how it works? The first time I had a smear it came back unreliable for assessment so I went for a colposcopy and the Dr said he could see with the camera thing that the cells were slightly abnormal. This was the case the next few times as well. I was wondering if it was possible that my cells were just like this naturally or something caused by the Pill (when I came off it for 6 months, the 'abnormalities' improved dramatically).

I've had low level abnormalities for the past few years and haven't been on the pill for years and years. I've never heard of links. Its just something that happens.

Just one other thing.....the nurse told me that some cells can look abnormal in the smear, and depending on how abnormal they look, they either tell you to come back after 6 months or else send you to the hospital or whatever. Apparently cells can change back to normal, hence the telling you to come back in 6 months if they are not severely abnormal.Also you have to have been sexually active. If you're a virgin they won't do it unless you really want them to.The reason being that it usually doesn't work - as in they can't get it in - and also because these changes are triggered by contact with men internally - sex. They don't do the smear tests on nuns or virgins (apparently) because they haven't had sex.
    Just some things I didn't know at the time! (I was curious and the nurse was chatty!)

they do the smear to check for abnormal cells that can lead to cervical cancer etc.. but these abnormal cells have nothing to do with sex, it's not having sex that causes the cells to change so i highly doubt they rule out nuns and virgins.you should have an sti smear test when you're sexually active but this isn't the same kind of smear,they don't check for sexually transmitted infections with this smear.

there is a link with the pill.ive been having a colposcopy every 6 months for the last 3 years due to changes in my cells and they informed me too much oestrogen can cause changes in the cells even though they couldn't be sure that was the cause. too much oestrogen in the system is as a result of being on a pill containing oestregen for a long time,so they recommended i go off it for a year and onto the implant which contains progesterone but not oestrogen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Unregistered, there IS a link with sex, the HPV virus which causes cervical cancer is sexually transmitted. 99% of cervical cancers are caused by HPV. People think 'it just happens' because there isn't much you can do to prevent it (80% of men have it, there's no test for HPV in men and condoms don't help much) but in fact if you never have sexual contact, the chance is tiny (or non existant according to many doctors).

For the link with the pill, doctors don't seem to know themselves what the story is. My consultant told me it had nothing to do with it but I had another one tell me it was quite possible. I asked if it's possible to have low level abnormalities visible on the camera thing (during colposcopy) which are NOT connected to HPV and didn't really get a straight answer. I just find it an unbelievable coincidence that all the problems I had with my cervix (some bleeding, abnormal cells, weird discharge) disappeared as soon as I went off the Pill and came back when I went back on it. And also, in my case, my smears always come back 'normal'. How can they be normal when I supposedly have abnormalities which are visible? I suppose the 'abnormal' area for me could be so small that nothing was picked up, but it's all very odd.

apologies i looked it up there,i didn't know that. they say the pill, smoking, having had children are high risk factors for cervical cancer also.who knows!!

I'm foreign born living in Ireland for a few and always a bit surprised to the attitude to smear test here. Where I come from we are told to get them starting around 20 or once we are sexually active, whichever comes first...then once per year after that.

It's interesting to me that the price people have quoted is about the same as a Brazilian wax. Now, I've had both brazilian waxes and smear tests,and I can say that a Brazilian is FAR more uncomfortable, painful and it takes longer than a smear test.

I certainly wouldn't claim that smears tests are FUN, but they DON'T HURT and are over in 2 seconds.

I've talked women who flat out refuse to get a smear test because they think it will be "embarassing." Yet some of these women get regular Brazilian waxes...If you've ever had one of those, you know that the waxer has to get quite up and close and personal with your private bits.

The point of all this is not Brazillian waxes, but it's that women should look after the HEALTH of their "fannies" as you call them, at least as well as the aesthetics of that area.

IMO, if you are sexually active regardlesss of age, you should make the effort to get the free test, but if you aren't eligible, it's one thing worth spending your own money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,335 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was to have one of these and it hurt so much I couldnt get it done I have to go back but I'm afraid I still wont be able to get it done any advice please :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kerrygirl1972

JP Liz V1 - Can you have a chat with your GP about it? She or he might prescribe valium to take about half an hour before having the smear. This would relax you so that the speculum will go in easily, and once that it is the smear itself is over in a few seconds. Best of luck with it.

Ouch-ey! I absolutely hate getting it done. It depends if they do it really quickly it's not so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

to go private it costs up to 150 euro now!it gets sent off to the uk to a private lab and you get the results in 2 weeks.I got a private one done a year and a half ago because of Jade i went private coz i did'nt want to be waiting months for a result (that was the case at the time)and it was'nt free it cost me 90 quid then but it has gone up since the free ones came out.the first time i got it done was nerve wrecking but to be honest the fear in your head is sooo much worst then the actual smear,I felt like so silly and now i don't care it has to be done and thats that!a little uncomfortable but nothing to be scared of i wasted so many years scared of getting one of these and wheni eventually got one all the worry was for nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement