Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My laptop: FUBAR'd

Options
  • 22-02-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

In all honesty I think I'm just going to end up reformatting. At first when I started up windows I would get an error saying windows could not run. The antivirus I downloaded (AVG) wasn't able to extract itself and my system became much slower. Others are the same.
    Random processes have started to fail. I have ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and have anti spyware with that but it found nothing. I then got Malware Bytes and found nine trojans. These I got rid of but it made little difference.
    A day or two later I got a message waying windows couldn't update and alterations have been made to the system files. Now windows won't run at all in normal mode but I'm running currently with safemode with networking.
    I'm guessing reformat is the only way to go but I have to wait on getting a hard disk copy of Vista. Dell won't send me one (I got my laptop with Dell). In the iterm, any ideas for getting my laptop functional for at least the next few days? It sounds pretty hopeless as I type this. :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

You dont even have to install, just run from the cd

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

might be worth checking with DELL if there is a restore partition on the hard disk. This eliminates the need for a CD/DVD.

An Ubuntu CD will allow you to get access to your files and copy to a USB stick. Then, do your reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I did the reformat. It isn't all that bad. At least I got rid of all that Dell crap like Roxio.

Advertisement