Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regs re bends/offset runs in flues for multifuel stoves.

Options
  • 22-02-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Have a lean-to sun room at A-roofed gable end of a dormer bungalow.

want to fit multifuel stove against gable end in sun room.

Window in gable end prevents flue going straight up

Dont see anything in Part J re bends/offset runs except that flue size goes up by 25mm if offset.

Could go through gable into attic space and then go up through roof.

All suggestions welcome.
    ps could I use a suitable fan to 'help' with too many bends?

pss: any thoughts on what a double skinned SS flue would look like sticking out of a tiled A roof?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whitneysegura

I don't think it would look that great myself, being honest. My thoughts would be just to ask around, maybe post that question on yahoo answers. If you don't get the right answer here that is. Good luck!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved at OP's request from DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Try these guys - a great help to me when I was looking for flue sections.

http://www.orielflues.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whitneysegura

i tried them before, I didn't like them. They were mean and rude to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

tks for replies: spoke to the guys that crosstown mentioned: the website has loads of info and installation guidelines but no sign of the actual regs.

in terms of aesthetics
    http://www.orielflues.com/installation-external-twinwall.htm

is the suggested solution, For a gable that is visible from the road I think it does not add value.

Any thoughts?

8pm
    had more interaction with the company referred to above and could not fault them one iota for their level of service.

Couple of interesting points:

1: Using a single skinned flexible SS flue to 'line' an existing chimney is not permitted in the UK. must be double skinned and the inner layer must be smooth

2: Unless the SS flue is well maintained and no slow burning, it has a life of about 5 years.

3: the link below also includes info on Lego type chimneys made out of either ceramic or pumic

see http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-chimney-documentation/hetas-guide-part3.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jsf

Hi there i know i am a bit late for advice but you would have to use tw insulated s/steel pipe from at least the celing and vitroues enamel from the stove i do these type of jobs offen and when you go through the roof not much of the pipe is shown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Loads of ugly external ones available, looking for nice neat internal use ones with say a single round bar for setting in the wall. 150mm flue
    Thanks

Advertisement