Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bank of Ireland Do Business Impersonally

Options
  • 22-02-2009 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I recently applied to my Bank of Ireland branch for a short term extension of my overdraft. I have had the account in the branch for nearly 30 years.
    They told me 5 months ago I was one of their best customer.

They turned me down...no problem there....but how they did it, really annoyed me. They hacked into my voicemail on my mobile phone (I have voicemail turned off but forgot to change the pin number from 0000) and left a message telling me that they would not be willing to extend the overdraft.if I had personal messages, they could have listened to them also. I am checking with the relevant regulator to see if what they did was legal.

How impersonal is that. The government is giving them €3.5bn euro which we the taxpayer will have to pay through some levy,to keep them afloat and they are doing their best to alienate their customers by not helping them keep afloat?

If it were up to me I'd let the parasites go down the tubes.

Of course I'm going to change my account to another bank, but who can I trust.

Anybody else have a similiar experience

Anybody else have

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Antibanker wrote: »
    I recently applied to my Bank of Ireland branch for a short term extension of my overdraft. I have had the account in the branch for nearly 30 years.

They turned me down...no problem there....but how they did it, really annoyed me. They hacked into my voicemail on my mobile phone (I have voicemail turned off but forgot to change the pin number from 0000) and left a message telling me that they would not be willing to extend the overdraft.if I had personal messages, they could have listened to them also. I am checking with the relevant regulator to see if what they did was legal.

How impersonal is that. The government is giving them €3.5bn euro which we the taxpayer will have to pay through some levy,to keep them afloat and they are doing their best to alienate their customers by not helping them keep afloat?

Anybody else have

thats disgraceful using someones private pin number to get into their voicemail and leave a message

are you sure a bank did that?

is it possible the voice mail was already engaged somehow?

if it wasnt this takes ****ty custommer service to dizzying new heights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Anybody else have

Investigate that matter first with your phone operator before making accusations...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

They could have put '5' before the 7-digit phone number and left a message that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They could have put '5' before the 7-digit phone number and left a message that way.

You are probably correct.
    Do not go into the bank and accuse the staff unless your operator can verify it was hacked. I doubt it was though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah, they just called your voicemail box directly, they didn't "hack" into it for God sake. OP, you really should check these things out before "checking with the relevant regulator to see if it's legal"

Ring your own number with a 5 after the 087 or 086 or whatever
    e.g. 087 5 1111111.

You can leave a person a voicemail that way without ringing them but they can't listen to your voicemail unless they know your PIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Yeah, they just called your voicemail box directly, they didn't "hack" into it for God sake. OP, you really should check these things out before "checking with the relevant regulator to see if it's legal"

Ring your own number with a 5 after the 087 or 086 or whatever
    e.g. 087 5 1111111.

You can leave a person a voicemail that way without ringing them but they can't listen to your voicemail unless they know your PIN.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

On a related matter, has anybody else noticed that AIB is the only bank seeking new custom or to expand existing custom??

Well I say seeking, I mean advertising for. One of the biggest boo-boos ANY bank business made in this downturn is cutting advertising. I know for a fact that if someone was to ask have I seen an advert for any bank recently, AIB is the only one I could remember. That is possibly because I don't pay any attention to ads in newspapers, where I'm sure there is advertising, but the lack of knowledge of the consumer out there apart from AIB is shocking.

They're doing TV, internet, radio. I haven't seen or heard ONE other bank use any of these methods since before Christmas. And if I weren't already an AIB customer, it would become the de facto place for me to turn because it has the real life example there in front of me on the TV and radio and is asking me to "click" links for the "click credit card".

As someone who's done a little marketing and someone who has had to research where not to cut spending in a recession, I'm frankly shocked that BOI, PTSB, UB, Halifax etc... have scaled back so massively...in fact it's one of the areas you're supposed to increase spending on in a recession.

Also - I doubt they hacked your phone, more likely did as was already mentioned by putting a 5 before the number. Exactly what I do when I don't want to talk to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There is a reason for that ninty9er.

When there is something so serious as this going on companies stop advertisement. It is a great tactic on their part. They do not advertise so the company is not in the minds of the public (their customers) as much. It is more of a subconcious thing. People will not associate any (well less) bad with the banks.

AIB done this when that rogue trader took hundreds of millions, they stopped advertising while it blew over.

If anything they are crying for custom. As this is universal, AIB are not solely linked to the disaster... get me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

When there is something so serious as this going on companies stop advertisement. It is a great tactic on their part. They do not advertise so the company is not in the minds of the public (their customers) as much. It is more of a subconcious thing. People will not associate any (well less) bad with the banks.

AIB done this when that rogue trader took hundreds of millions, they stopped advertising while it blew over.

If anything they are crying for custom. As this is universal, AIB are not solely linked to the disaster... get me?

Are you honestly suggesting that every bank that has slashed advertising is doing so because they have something to hide? Every man and his dog knows they are in strife so your theory would only apply if they where seeking to hide corruption/impending liquidation ??

Jeez I thought the OP was a bit of a conspiracy theorist.

I think it's much more simple than that. They're taking a flamethrower to their expenditure, which history has shown as a false economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Antibanker

What really pissed me off was that they did not have the professionalism to contact me in person! They took the easy way out by sending a voicemail. I'll find another bank that will satisfy my needs (that will be an accomplishment of it's own) and willl instruct them to contact me directly instead of sending sneaky voicemail messages.

Just a side note, is it not unprofessional in itself not to have voicemail activated??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

As a matter of interest does anyone contact you to advise that you've received new email?

What really pissed me off was that they did not have the professionalism to contact me in person! They took the easy way out by sending a voicemail. I'll find another bank that will satisfy my needs (that will be an accomplishment of it's own) and willl instruct them to contact me directly instead of sending sneaky voicemail messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

As a matter of interest does anyone contact you to advise that you've received new email?

Hardly relevant. The topic of the thread is bemoaning the lack of personal service the OP has experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Completely agree, it was very pathetic of the person. A place did it to my friend when she went to a job interview and wan't successful.

Thing is, its probably not bank policy, just the person didn't want to make that call. If they can get pulled up on it by a manager they can claim your phone could have been switched off/out of coverage/engaged etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

sm.org wrote: »
    Hardly relevant. The topic of the thread is bemoaning the lack of personal service the OP has experienced.

Are we losing perspective here? The OP was turned down for an overdraft. He seems more upset with the manner than the news? I think the Bank might argue that they showed some enterprise by informing the customer in a time and cost efficient manner. No yakkety yack around the issue, time saved and money saved. The news was unfortunately bad for the OP but from the bank's perspective no business here an dtime to move on, which perhaps demonstartes some enterprise.

IMO the topic is really a consumer issue and little to do with this forum? In the present environment, there are far more important issues at hand than handling a small aspect of customer service.

I'm not condoning the Bank's action but it isn't so bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

ninty9er wrote: »
    Just a side note, is it not unprofessional in itself not to have voicemail activated??

eh,no it isnt.....

Should you really have to pay to listen to some advertising ****e from a desperate sales rep? or call voice mail to be told you have a new voicemail message and then find out the person hung up as soon as the call went to voicemail?

now thats annoying

Advertisement