Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeze during reinstall

Options
  • 21-02-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Laptop has been running slow recently, has fairly low RAM as it is but the last couple of months it's just been freezing suddenly. Tried to do a complete reinstall but computer keeps freezing half-way through. Now I'm stuck as I can't do anything with it...does anyone know how I can bypass the reinstall or just stop it freezing??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

Does it keep freezing at the same point? When does it freeze? Is it when it's checking hardware, or trying to copy files from a disk (or however you are trying to install the OS)? Could be a dirty/damaged/scratched disk, or a problem with hardware. Maybe check that your RAM is seated correctly and that the OS disk is OK and try again.

And how old is the PC? Could overheating be causing the lockups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 underflowers

CHW wrote: »
    Does it keep freezing at the same point? When does it freeze? Is it when it's checking hardware, or trying to copy files from a disk (or however you are trying to install the OS)? Could be a dirty/damaged/scratched disk, or a problem with hardware. Maybe check that your RAM is seated correctly and that the OS disk is OK and try again.

And how old is the PC? Could overheating be causing the lockups?

Thanks for that, finally got it working. It kept freezing at 52% but I just kept restarting it each time and it finally worked. Pretty sure my problem is very low RAM and the laptop just can't handle it. Bought it a couple of years ago when I wasn't very technologically aware! Hopefully I'll get a bit longer out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

Glad you got it sorted.

Adding more RAM might be a good idea, it really does make a difference, you'll probably find that it starts up quicker, you can have many more applications running, and generally the PC is that much slicker and comfortable to be using.

Advertisement