Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Records

Options
  • 21-02-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find general Marriage Records for around the 1830s.

Had a look online but can only find the census oor the archives going back to 1910ish.

Would I be best off heading in to the national archives or am I looking in the wrong place? If they are there wouldf I be able to view them even?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it if it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I believe that general civil registration of marriages didn't start in Ireland until 1864, though non-Catholic marriages were registered from 1845. So there were no general marriage records for the 1830s. There may be parish records from that period, but many of them were destroyed in 1922, and in any event they are by no means a complete record of the whole population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Had a feeling most would have been destroyed but was reading an extract from the Third Report of the Royal Commission on the Conditions of the Poorer Classes in Ireland by James Ebenezer Bicheno where he quotes a lot of marriage records, mainly the average age of those that married.

That was more along the lines of what I was looking for tbh although I see I didn't make it that clear in my above post. Just seeing if there were any papers at the time on marriage rates at the time etc.

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Sorry, I thought you were a family historian.

I'd not heard of James Ebenezer Bicheno, but according to his article on Wikipedia, he was so large that he could, it was said, fit three full bags of wheat in his trousers (doesn't say whether he was also in his trousers at the time, though :D).

Possibly the underlying data for this study are available in the National Archive, but I doubt it. The 1831 and 1841 census returns are long gone, alas.

From a quick Googling, there's a book by Cormac O Grada Ireland: A New Economic History, 1780-1939 (OUP, 1995), which has some demographic details from your period in Chapter 4, and the references may be worth following up if you don't already have access to this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Thanks for that, will check out that book.

Hmm wikipedia, source of all that is truthful in the world :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There are a lot of parish records in the National Library. Parish records were not destroyed in the civil war (that was mainly census returns and wills). However, they are not indexed and are on microfilm. Their website has a downloadable list by diocese of which records they have. www.nli.ie You do need a rough idea of which parish you're looking for though. Records for the 1830s are relatively good but the more rural you get the fewer the records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 irishfamilys

Civil registration for birth, death & marriage began 1864,
    before this you need the following : -
    The Religion of the family, the parish, and Country, if this it not
    know it is possible to check Griffith Valuation which list head of
    household for the majority of the 32 country.

The church records for Roman catholics are held in the local parish
    and the National Library, Kildare Street, Dublin
    Church of Ireland records are in the National Library, Kildare Street, Dublin,
    National archive, Bishops Street, Dublin, local parish & RCB library, Dublin

Should you require further details please ask?

Patrick Hogan

http//www.Irishheredity.com

Advertisement