Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a new laptop

Options
  • 21-02-2009 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

I have this machine for 2 1/2 years and in the last two week's it's been running very slow.

http://www.microanvika.com/product.asp?TXT=INFO&PNO=TOS14417

It goes into a hang and takes 20 secs to load a regular web page. I'm looking for a similar Toshiba machine at a good price. Need it mostly for web, mail, photoshop/dreaweaver so don't need an ultrafast machine.

Help please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

If your happy enough with the machine and dont want to change a reinstall of windows will bring it right back to the way it left the shop and should speed it up a great deal

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If your happy enough with the machine and dont want to change a reinstall of windows will bring it right back to the way it left the shop and should speed it up a great deal

+1, No need to buy a new machine, a reinstall of windows will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭corkandproud

How do I re-install, don't have any original disks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Toshiba should be able to send you recovery disks.

Or you could try Linux on it - see how it runs with Ubuntu.

You can dual boot so that you have both Windows and Linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

It depends what you're using your laptop for. It's a bit drastic buying a new machine just because the software is not working. Also, if you do buy, at least wait until Windows 7 is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

Do Toshiba not supply their laptops with a recovery partition? Been a while since I had a brand new PC, but most big-brand manufacturers would have utilities pre-installed that would initiate a recovery from a booted OS. Failing that, is it F8 or F10 that can initiate the recovery from a booting PC?

Is the hard drive original?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hinduhamster

It might even be worth doing a full defrag, spyware/adware scans and run a registry cleaning program. Did that on one of my old pc's.

It didn't make it brand new but if gave it a lot more life:)

Advertisement