Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey norman laptop repair

Options
  • 20-02-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

(to mods , sorry if this is in the wrong place)
    hello, i purchaced a acer laptop from harvey norman back in may 2008, The hard drive is starting to fail (sometimes it makes a weird noise and stalls and in the partion manger in unbuntu it says that the hard drive is broken) I purchaced the laptop half in cash and the other half my dad paid for was in credit card) I lost the recipt for the laptop though :( I remeber the guy in harvey norman entering the details of the purchace onto the computer in store. If I just went into harvey norman telling them who i was would they have the details of my purchace on the computer ? or is there a way I could get the recipt through the credit card records ?
    thanks in advance
    -Trevor :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

if you know the date they will be able to find you on their data base, go to the same store you bought it from, the reason they take your details are for the reason you have.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

1800 927 221

acerwarranty.co.uk

they do a collect and return policy

you require your serial number on the laptop

harvey will probably tell you to contact acer number above.

i know its not what consumer law states, but hey my wife is saying its the easiest option.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

www.acerwarranty.co.uk - do it online. Enter serial number etc... Interlink will call within 2 days and take it to Banbridge where Acer (AE Technologies) fix it. You will need to leave a copy of the reciept between the screen and the keyboard for AE, so go to Harveys and look for a re-print of the reciept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I know this is a little bit off topic but after I get the laptop repaired dont I have a extra 1 year warintee on top of that ? :) btw thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

absolutely not.

your 1 year warranty is from the date of purchase. with repaired parts, sometimes..and only sometimes..they will put a 3-6 month warranty on the part that was replaced.

hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

usually manufacturers will gurrantee repairs for 90days even if this exceeds your normal warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

At the end of the day though, you are not bound by a 1 year warranty!! Consumer law says otherwise and if i remember correctly the minimum is two years in the EU and up to a period of 6 years.

Dont ask me for links as im only rehashing what other boards.ie members have posted so do a search.

Since you are still in warranty though, you are grand. In fact if you paid for it (even part) by credit card then there is a record of it not only on the Harvey Normal system but on the credit card system also.

All you need is proof of purchase, a receipt is handier to have but if you have a credit card statement showing date/time etc then it will be easy enough to get a copy of the receipt.

edit: take a look here.

Seems its 3 years and up to 10 max. You might need to take legal action to get it but at the end of the day, you are still in the "warranty" period so do not need to worry about consumer rights.

3 years??? :| , I remeber purchaseing a xbox console and it says that it has "one year limted repair" or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You are confusing warranty with statutory rights. They are different. A warranty is provided on top of your statutory rights, usually I would say to mask your rights.

If someone refuses to deal with a defect outside warranty, you can point out statutory rights and if you still get no where then the small claims court is very simple to apply to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 keyshwa

hi i hope im not contradicting anyone but i used to work with harvey normans computers for over 2 years its very easy all laptops come as standard with 1 year manufactures warrenty just go in give your details you dont need credit card blah blah just maybe an id and the laptop tell them the hard drive is failing and that you want them to get it fixed as long as you do this before 12 months has passed from the day you bought your laptop they will do this 100 % free... you will not get a replacement you will not get a lend model while you wait it takes WORST case secnario 5 weeks to fix but 9 times out of ten youll have it back in 2 hope ive been helpful (also go back to the branch were you bought its easiest...

also regardless of what anyone may tell you, you cannot buy warranty after the the initail purchase date so sadly if this happens again after the 12 months you will have to pay for full repairs post and packaging (except for the 3 months after a manufactourers repair.. again after that your on your own.. )hope ive been helpful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If you change the OS on a machine sold with Vista (w/ vista recovery partition), more often than not you void your warranty.

You may want to read the T&Cs but I know this holds true in a lot of cases regarding laptops bought in retail stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Warrenty covers hardware not software, therefore the OS is not part of the cover.

MC

Just one last question before I go to harvey norman tommrow(Ive been holding it back a long time lol) Ive heard a few reports that with acer repair, they just check if it boots and if it does they charge you money and send it back to you for haveing no faults. The laptop boots fine in to vista but anytime I run a virus scan with AVG or a hard drive error scan the laptop crashes (you can hear some weird hard drive noises just about when it crashes) and when I run check disc it says there are some bad sectors on the hard drive. Do you think acer repair will say theres nothing wrong with it or will they actually check the hard drive for faults? BTW thanks everybody for the help :D

-Trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Save yourself the heartache and download a program called "HDD Regenerator". I've used it on several hard-drives to repair bad sectors & crashing machines and I have never had problems using them drives since.

If you can't find the utility on its own, download "Hirens 9.7" and burn it to a CD. Boot from the CD and you will find HDD Regenerator in there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

keyshwa wrote: »
    also regardless of what anyone may tell you, you cannot buy warranty after the the initail purchase date so sadly if this happens again after the 12 months you will have to pay for full repairs post and packaging (except for the 3 months after a manufactourers repair.. again after that your on your own.. )hope ive been helpful
    the manufacturers warranty may be for 1 or 2 years but we as consumers have protection in law from shoddy workmanship and faulty goods which superceeds any warranty provided by the manufacturers or paid for warranty from the store, if there is a fauld the store or shop you bought the item from has an obligation to provide after sales care including guaranteeing the product free from manufacturing defects or faults due to poor workmanship. this can extent beyond 2 years depending on the product bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Saruman wrote: »
    edit: take a look here.

Seems its 3 years and up to 10 max. You might need to take legal action to get it but at the end of the day, you are still in the "warranty" period so do not need to worry about consumer rights.
    Sounds bogus, but... Question: is this 3 year thing from the manufacture, or the retailer? And if the manufacture, is it 3 years from the date of the laptop being made, or from when it was bought from the retailer?

Advertisement