Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Job Advice Required Due To Redundancy

Options
  • 20-02-2009 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

I really hope you can help.

My boyfriend just lost his job today as his company was making redundancies...

He worked as a Calibrations Engineer in a pharmaceutical company. He now has to start looking for a new job as either a Calibrations Engineer or a Junior Engineer. He has a degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

I was wondering what you think his best bet is in finding a new engineering role? Does anyone know any good engineering job agencies in Dublin? Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated because before he found this job (about 2 yrs ago), he mailed companies through some job sites but he had very little responses so he'd feeling a little overwhelmed at having to go through job searches all over again.

As you can imagine, this is a bit of a nightmare so we'd appreciate any help you can give us.

Thanks,

mwaters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That's pretty tough alright. No particular experience of agencies in Dublin but I suppose Irishjobs.ie and monster.ie are two of the big ones nationally. Big thing is to try and take good advice on his CV, differentiate himself from anyone else who's going to be applying for the same jobs. Maybe contact the manufacturers of the equipment he'd have been calibrating, see if they have any openings for service / calibration people. And keep the head up - it could be any of us.

Oh and if you haven't heard back, follow up your mails with one call after maybe a week or 10 days "to make sure they got the mail/application". Leave a message if you can't get through but don't repeatedly call - they'll hate you before they meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You'll have to target his CV's at appropriate companies, based on his education & experience, the term engineer is very over used. Anyone who holds a welding rod is an engineer. This also hasn't been helped by the ordinary/honours degree changes that were made a few years back.

If your other half has an ordinary degree (diploma), he should be targeting technician roles which are advertised. If your other half has an honours degree he should be targeting appropriate junior electronic engineering jobs.

Before anyone starts the ordinary/higher degree debate, I have both. After i completed my ordinary degree (diploma) I worked as an electrical/electronic technician in the automation area. After a few years I went back and spent 2 years getting my honours degree, this opened up so many opportunities for me, many more than would of been available with a diploma. It meant i could travel the world and do what i like doing. I have since completed my masters degree.

What area of electronic engineering is he interested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Does he have any design experience? If he does I might know of something in the midlands if thats of any interest to him. PM me if it is.

Advertisement